Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband / Master Socket Question

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband / Master Socket Question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, After reading serveral forum posts I have now realised my broadband & phone is actually plugged into the ...

puppy8910club is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Broadband / Master Socket Question

Hi All,

After reading serveral forum posts I have now realised my broadband & phone is actually plugged into the extension socket rather than the main master socket.

Obviously from reading it is normally best for line speed to plug in your setup to the master socket.

2 questions

1) Does the Phone Line need to be plugged into the master socket? (Reason is because its behind my sofa)... Would this cause a problem if it was plugged into an extension.

2) Can I have the broadband plugged into the master socket, and the phone line plugged into another extension socket (where i have it setup now).

My current broadband after upgrading recently is unlimited and running at 7.7mb. I have had it up to 9mb but the Sky Tier 2 team reconfigured the line and set max delays to 8ms.

I will test the broadband in the master socket tonight to see if i can improve on my speed (although i belive its capped) but I guess i can tell if master socket makes any different from 7.7 (capped to 9-10mb).

A problem for me is that where the master socket sits, it is the other side of my living room and ideally I would like to hardwire via ethernet cable to my PS3. Of course I could use wireless but if the gains are small from moving from extension to master then I will probably stay where i am. Current line runs fine no problems.

Would it create more noise having phone in 1 socket and broadband in master?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband / Master Socket Question

Ideally only the router needs to be in the master - phones can go wherever so long as they're filtered correctly...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

puppy8910club is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

HELP!!!

I plugged my router directly into the "master socket" and my speed increased from 7689mb to 8423mb

WHen i plugged the router into the test socket my speed jumped up to an amaazing 13mb and this is when sky have told me they have capped me to 9mb...

Now question is... what can i do to get 13mb??? is it a case of buying one of those faceplates? Or do i need to disconnect some wires???

My master socket is in my living room and i have another extension where my phone / router is currently connected.

Im a complete noob / novice and have no technical knowledge on all this so please be basic with me.

Thanks!!!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

To keep that speed, you need to fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket and run the router from there.

Using routers on extensions is a prime cause for noise and poor speeds.