Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to sky need advice

This is a discussion on New to sky need advice within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok so I moved to an area that did not have Virgin Media so I went with sky+ tv and ...

Pilks4k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSHE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

New to sky need advice

Ok so I moved to an area that did not have Virgin Media so I went with sky+ tv and phone and thought I would get the Internet too. Sky told me I could only get sky connect I asked if it would be ok for gaming and general media use I was told yes, so I went with it.

Its been 5 days since I've been connected and well its useless like most people I work during the day and when I get in I like to play on the xbox with friends but I cant do that as its so slow... I've basicaly given up so now im paying for something for the next 12 months I cant use.

What can I do? Can I cancel if I do I guess I will have to pay something any idea how much? Also lol I want to keep the phone will that meen I cant get any other Internet? as I was looking at getting BE Broadband as thats at my exchange but that requires a BT line and im now with sky.

2. Advertisement
      krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: New to sky need advice

If your within 30 Days you can cancel. You were lied to because Sky Connect is utterly useless for gaming, so you can mention that you were lied to upon signing up.
      There is something that can be changed to help with lowering your ping times but that doesn't necessarily mean you will not get lag - Like I said, Sky Connect is useless for Gaming.

I'm not actually sure if you can get BE with Sky Line rental. It is still technically a BT line only your not paying BT for Line Rental, Instead your paying Sky.

Hope this clears a little up for you at least. Hope someone else can shine a little light on this dim situation.

Thanks

Yeah If I can get Get out of this Internet and switch to BE I will get my MAC code and do that, but at the moment the only thing holding me up is the line issue.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Get rid of it quickly!! Ring Sky and tell them product is not fit for purpose and you want to pull out of the contract. Connect is a rebadged BT product and renown for problems. Loads of people on this forum have problems with it. It is heavily throttled and restricted between 5pm and the early hours.
      If you have connect then it means Sky dont have there own equipment in your exchange, you are actually connected to BT equipment but paying for the bill via sky. i.e. you pay Sky then Sky pay BT, in which case there should be no reason you cant keep the TV and phone with Sky but cancel the broadband and move that elsewhere.

Thanks

Im going to call BE in the morning and ask them about the line being with sky but it still is a BT line and see what they say and if its ok I will call sky after and moan till they give me my mac code the last time I had to get a MAC code the ISP I was with refused to give me so it took forever hopefuly sky want do that and then move.

Thanks

Called Sky This morning got through to someone asked for my MAC code he was typing away for a minute or so came back ask me If this is the first time asking for it, I said yes and he replies ok I will have to get my manager to call you back in that case. Well waited all day and they haven't called so im going to call again tomorrow.

I looked at the date I ordered it and all tho I have only had it on for a week i ordered it before christmas so I only have a few days left till the 30 day mark I think they are just messing me around till then.

I called BE Internet and they said there should be no problems with my line I just need to get my MAC code so if anyone else was wondering about the line there is the answer.

Thanks

Ok so while im waiting for my MAC code im looking for a new ISP and getting confused. I play alot of xbox/ps2/pc online games so I want something for that purpose.

I was looking at O2's 8MB package as I was told by Sky my exchange is basicaly rubbish and thats going to be the best speed I can get but when I put my phone number in the 02 broadband checker it says I can expect speeds of up to 19MBs (Be broadbands checker says same thing)

This is my exchange anyone able to shed some light on what speeds I can expect as if I can get around 19MB I will go with a 20+MB package if not I look into the 8MB what I dont want is another Sky Connect type thing.

SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Sheerness (NDSHE) Exchange

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

O2 and Be use the same network but have different equipment and have different support, O2 is UK based, no idea on Be.

When you go over to O2 their version of DLM is extensive line checks and when that is over O2 will advise you of the most suitable product.

I was advised to stick to the 8 meg/sec package as I could only get between 9-11 and my dad was asked if he wanted to upgrade as he could get 20 meg/sec.

Also I have found the 8meg LLU product great for gaming, low pings and I have been playing on US servers with no problems what so ever.

I would recommend the O2 product anyday of the week and I have signed up for another year minium term with them.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      O2 and Be use the same network but have different equipment and have different support, O2 is UK based, no idea on Be.

When you go over to O2 their version of DLM is extensive line checks and when that is over O2 will advise you of the most suitable product.

I was advised to stick to the 8 meg/sec package as I could only get between 9-11 and my dad was asked if he wanted to upgrade as he could get 20 meg/sec.

Also I have found the 8meg LLU product great for gaming, low pings and I have been playing on US servers with no problems what so ever.

I would recommend the O2 product anyday of the week and I have signed up for another year minium term with them.

Yeah was going more towards O2 as I have an O2 mobile and can get 8mb unlimited for 7.50 P/M first 2months free thats like half what im paying for sky connect. Just was wondering what speeds I can get I guess getting the basic to start would be the idea as I can always upgrade.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

if you post your current router stats we can have a look as your speed will be dependant your line attenuation.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast