Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router Resets Itself - Changing Filters Fixes It

This is a discussion on Router Resets Itself - Changing Filters Fixes It within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, We've got a weird problem with our Netgear DG834GT router. I apologize if this is a duplicate post; ...

camoscato is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Router Resets Itself - Changing Filters Fixes It

Hi all,

We've got a weird problem with our Netgear DG834GT router. I apologize if this is a duplicate post; I searched, but didn't find any similar posts.

We're pretty far from the exchange, and the fastest speed we've ever gotten was 1.5 Mbps. Over the last few weeks, though, the router occasionally resets itself to a lower speed, sometimes as low as 128 Kbps. Resetting it via the software or the reset button or cycling power will get it back up to the 1.5 Mbps range, but a bit lower than it was before the reset. This will happen several times per day, getting progressively worse each time (i.e. the speed after reset will get slower and slower), and as the problem worsens it gets to the point where we can actually trigger a router reset by making a phone call.

The strange thing is we can fix it by changing the DSL filter. I've got three of them, and once the problem has gotten bad enough, I pull out whichever one we're using, plug in one of the others, reset the router, and it goes back to 1.5 Mbps and will stay there for 4 or 5 days before the whole cycle starts again.

We had Sky/OpenReach come out for a service call, and of course after the tech replaced the filter the connection was solid as a rock, so the ticket was closed with no fault found.

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone may have.

2. Advertisement
      krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Re: Router Resets Itself - Changing Filters Fixes It

Can you please post your Router Stats?
      How to get your router statistics

Also, please let us know what way you have things setup.

The Correct setup should be as follows:
      MASTER TELEPHONE SOCKET > Microfilter > Router & Phone/ Sky Tv/ Fax
      Other sockets in the home (If any) Should have a Microfilter connected to them first.

A Microfilter has to be connected to the Telephone Socket first before any other piece of equipment.

Do you have a TestSocket? How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi and thanks for the reply.

There's only one socket in the house. The microfilter is plugged into the master socket, and the ADSL cable goes directly from the filter to the router. There are no computers plugged directly into the router; we've got two laptops connected via wireless. The phone line side of the filter has a splitter plugged into it, and from there the phone line goes to a phone and to our Sky+ box.

The problem persists whether the filter is plugged into the master socket or into the test socket.

Router stats jpeg is attached.

Thanks.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router Resets Itself - Changing Filters Fixes It-router.jpg  

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you tried it with the splitter removed (i assume its the one going to your sky box)? they're know to develop faults so might be worth a bash...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      you tried it with the splitter removed (i assume its the one going to your sky box)? they're know to develop faults so might be worth a bash...
      The splitter comes out of the ADSL filter, going on to the Sky box and the phone. I could pull the splitter out of the filter, but then I couldn't plug in both the box and the phone (only one outlet in the house). I understand the need to simplify the setup to troubleshoot, but if I can't run this setup with the splitter coming out of the filter, then I've just traded one problem for another one.