Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Just Joined - A Few Tech Questions

This is a discussion on Just Joined - A Few Tech Questions within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folks, Was just wondering if anyone could offer some friendly info / advice. Had a browse through the forums ...

Arthur Hucksake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just Joined - A Few Tech Questions

Hi folks,

Was just wondering if anyone could offer some friendly info / advice. Had a browse through the forums but want more concrete info.

I am currently a Be* internet user and have been happy with them for well over a year (previously with Bulldog) and get very good speeds via ADSL2+.

Currently synced at 21Mbit down / 2.4 Mbit up on Be Pro.

The free for six months and then 10 there after eventually swayed me.

Just have some concerns.

On a regular ADSL2+ connection and not Annex M with the higher upload I was getting a solid 22-23Mbit down / 1.3 Mbit upload on a fastpath profile.
      Am I likely to get the same again with Sky?

Currently my network is hooked up via a Belkin 7633 router which has been solid for years now, never been turned off.

Have two Xbox 360s, PS3, two laptops and two mobiles phones which I use on the network. (Mainly wired) Will this pose any problem?

If worst comes to it can I just use the Belkin router again?

Hope i've done the right thing.

Cheers,

- D -

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Just Joined - A Few Tech Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Hucksake View Post
      On a regular ADSL2+ connection and not Annex M with the higher upload I was getting a solid 22-23Mbit down / 1.3 Mbit upload on a fastpath profile.
      It's unlikely as Sky's service is 20meg max not 24 like BE.
      It would also be fair to say that Sky's settings are more conservative than BE's as afaik noone on here has managed to get the full 20meg.

Have two Xbox 360s, PS3, two laptops and two mobiles phones which I use on the network. (Mainly wired) Will this pose any problem?

If worst comes to it can I just use the Belkin router again?
      I've noticed posts around the site regarding problems with 2 xbox's although tbh I havnt paid that much attention to them as I only have 1. Have a search for them and see if they give you any answers.

Although against Sky's t&c's using your own router is possible. Have a look here for a start.

Extracting Sky Router passwords

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky do not support fastpath, so the highest you'll get is 20000/1300 via interleaving. However, I suppose if you got an agent ballsy/stupid enough to put you on fastpath, then I THINK it automatically sets your profile to 24000/1000 or something... but then again, that's not gonna happen finding an agent to do it for you.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

think the agent would be stupid, no one is ballsy enough from what I saw before leaving!!! And the default FP profile is 8000/1000. And it's not like someone can do it on the sly for you as it's stamped in the profile change history so should anyone check your ticket and what's been done then said agent would be rumbled...

End of the day, I think yo're better sticking with Be Pro if what you have is doing the job for you...you get what you pay for
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Arthur Hucksake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      think the agent would be stupid, no one is ballsy enough from what I saw before leaving!!! And the default FP profile is 8000/1000. And it's not like someone can do it on the sly for you as it's stamped in the profile change history so should anyone check your ticket and what's been done then said agent would be rumbled...

End of the day, I think yo're better sticking with Be Pro if what you have is doing the job for you...you get what you pay for
      Yeah, starting to feel that way already. lol

I could tolerate it for a year, and Be will be there still so ill see how it goes. Im really concerned about this sky router though.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the Netgear DG934G isn't that bad, bar not being able to change the DSL settings everything else is as you'd find it on a shop-bought Netgear (bar a new layout). The Sagem is the same in looks but not as good wirelessly...the struggle you might end up with is having both the XBox's showing NAT open at the same time. Easy way of getting round it, without breaking T&Cs, is to use the Sky box as your modem and turn off the routing/wireless and use your Belkin as your access point...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket