Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

My Experience with Sky.. (Good read)

This is a discussion on My Experience with Sky.. (Good read) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I joined Sky Broadband back in early December. I gave them a MAC code and all, activated soon after but ...

uk_chris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

My Experience with Sky.. (Good read)

I joined Sky Broadband back in early December. I gave them a MAC code and all, activated soon after but never received a router. They sent another, never received. This process carried until this week. I got a router, the Sagem one.

Hooked it up and had problems opening ports for my 360, so I gave tech support a call (which are helpful, understandable people - might I add) and was run through what to do because I was used to netgear settings.

The rep then went on to tell me my internet is synced really low.. at about 3mb.

So we went through all the steps, I hooked up the test socket and he said that anything about 5mb would be unstable. So I was put through to another line, which was a 15 minute wait and had another friendly, helpful and understandable rep run me through more advanced things such as noise margin, SNR etc. He bumped it up to this:

However my line is much more capable. It apparently can do 10mb+ and the rep said my line is decent and isn't very noisy. So ran a line test and apparently it's BT's problem.

Sky, in terms of support is amazing. I've spoken to some really lovely people who have got to my problem right away and Sky shouldn't be put down in that department. However the whole switchover from other ISPs could be smoother. We should have a router before or on the activation date, not weeks after :P

So that's my story! Maybe soon those digits above will be doubled!
      Chris

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: My Experience with Sky.. (Good read)

I'm assuming you're aware of DLM and the fact that the first 10 days from going live (as in using the connection) your speed does start low and increases? If so, why did you call Sky? I'm not knocking you've had issues due to the Christmas post and not receiving your router(s) but once you got it I would've thought you'd have come here instead of having a Sky agent (however helpful) break procedure to stop DLM before completion...

Now, it might - in this instance - have pointed to a possible line issue but without seeing your stats we can't comment on whether the Sky agent was actually correct in their diagnosis OR just fobbing you off...post them up and we can take a look...

Now, I'm sure I'm going to get backlash from people saying stuff like 'but if the agent helps a customer isn't that more important than procedure??' and in response I'd normally say yes but in this instance Sky have invested a LOT of money in DLM so to have people call in and have it manually set is a complete waste of money and if Sky are to allow it to continue they may as well just scrap it...

Anyway, glad you finally got your router
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

I never rang up about speeds, was well aware about the 10 day process. However had an engineer around and got back on to sky and here are my stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 19647 kbps 989 kbps
      Line Attenuation 14.0 db 6.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 9.5 db

Should I be concerned that I'm getting over 20mb/s in speed tests?

Thanks

No, it's never accurate and very few speed tests are any good...it seems the agent in CST doesn't care much for process or his job and upped it before letting DLM complete.

I suggested before leaving Sky that when DLM is on the should be no function to stop it until it's first run is complete but no one ever listened...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

I do like to triple check things and the speed that he done manually is definitely the most stable.

Thanks

which is fine, and DLM would've likely come to same conclusion (give or take a meg)...I just don't see the point in Sky investing thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands) of pounds just to turn it off...

Aeschylus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: King's Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      which is fine, and DLM would've likely come to same conclusion (give or take a meg)...I just don't see the point in Sky investing thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands) of pounds just to turn it off...
      to be fair mate, if you read my thread about funny numbers, my DLM had got stuck at 8MB, so surely he was right to release mine as there is a fault with the upstream noise..

would both parties not be frustrated if he said to me "sorry can not do anything until DLM is finished"?

Thanks

Your upstream issue was nothing to do with DLM, it never is, and if once DLM's finished its first run then of course it can be manually set. But the whole point is to stop calls to tech as it's meant to be left to it's own devices...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Your upstream issue was nothing to do with DLM, it never is, and if once DLM's finished its first run then of course it can be manually set. But the whole point is to stop calls to tech as it's meant to be left to it's own devices...
      I can definitely see what you mean, I would've left it but the rep got me to change a few things and I did ask about the DLM and he said it's fine.