Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Free 6 months unlimited BB

This is a discussion on Free 6 months unlimited BB within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Just to let everyone know Im a current customer with TV, phone and mid BB . Was actually thinking ...

Neoacefx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Free 6 months unlimited BB

Hi, Just to let everyone know Im a current customer with TV, phone and mid BB. Was actually thinking of leaving due to the imposed limit on bandwidth, however just seen a TV advert for free 6 months unlimited BB for new and existing customers.

Went through the sky site and upgraded to unlimited - took a tenner off my TV package (£13 a month instead of £23) and also pointed out that I hadnt entered a new contract. Seems to good to be true.
      , hope it works!

***EDIT***

Heres the small print

6 months free up to 20Mb broadband: Available to new and existing Sky TV customers in Sky’s network area only. Offer not available to existing Sky Broadband Unlimited customers or in conjunction with any other Sky offer. Active BT line required. Offer applied as a £10 discount on your Sky TV bill for 6 months.

2. Advertisement
      ultraviolet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT HomeHub 5
      Thanks

Re: Free 6 months unlimited BB

Even when Sky do something nice they screw half their customers. I get a £5 (50%) a month increase and everyone else gets 6 months free.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I am pretty sure that to qualify for free broadband for 6 months, means that you have to sign up to:

1) Sky Unlimited BB @ £10 per mth
      2) Be on an LLU enabled exchange
      3) Sky Talk for the free calls (the free one)

6 months free up to 20Mb broadband: Available to new and existing Sky TV customers in Sky’s network area only. Offer not available to existing Sky Broadband Unlimited customers or in conjunction with any other Sky offer. Active BT line required. Offer applied as a £10 discount on your Sky TV bill for 6 months. If you have not fulfilled the offer eligibility criteria within 45 days of placing your order, discounts already applied will be repayable to Sky.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well I tick all 3 boxes,

you sign up for £10 p/m BB but get a £10 discount off your TV package. As Im out of contract I can upgrade without having to enter a contract - so in theory after 6 months can just downgrade or leave.

I currently pay £23 for TV, £10 for mid + £5 discount for having sky talk = £28 p/m
      I now pay £23 for TV - £10 discount + £15 BB - £5 discount = £23 p/m

So I get twice as fast BB and unlimited bandwidth for 6 months for a fiver less than a was paying.

That sounds to good to be true surely! Where have my calcs gone wrong?

***EDIT***

???
      Last edited by Neoacefx; 05-01-10 at 12:51 PM. Reason: extra info

Thanks
      Blog Entries

It's not too good to be true.

You now have Sky Unlimited for £10 per month, instead of paying £15 per month, and free for 6 months. Sky Unlimited has 2 pricing levels, £10 with Sky Talk, or £15 without it. However, to qualify for that, you have also signed up to Sky Talk.

Without signing up to Sky Talk, the unlimited would be £15 per month, with no free 6 months. People are unhappy about the £15 price point, as some don't wish to take Sky Talk, as well as existing Sky Unlimited users do not get any chance of getting the free 6 months of broadband.
      I currently pay £23 for TV, £10 for mid + £5 discount for having sky talk = £28 p/m
      I now pay £23 for TV - £10 discount + £15 BB - £5 discount = £23 p/m
      Should be:

I now pay £23 for TV - £10 discount + £10 BB (as you have Sky Talk) = £23 p/m for 6 months, then £33 per month thereafter

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

Great

Guess it must be to keep customers who were thinking of leaving due to the mid bandwidth drop like myself.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thats what doesn't make sense. If they were going to discount it for 6 months so it's free. They could have stopped all those leaving on Unlimited, by keeping it at £10 instead of raising it to £15 per month.

12 x £5 = £60 or in reality the 6 months free.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I think it must be in response to offers like the cashback you get with O2 etc,

Sky won't admit it but when you can get free BB for a year from O2 for new signups they must be worried about Telefonica's deep pockets.

Also Sky put the price up expecting all the other ISP's to follow suit which they haven't done and now they are looking for ways to get customers to take more services on, in your example you get broadband free for 6 months but your package will go up by £5 a month after 6 months so they will have clawed the free bit back in a year.

Also when signing up for this do you lock back into a new minimum term of a year?
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks
      Blog Entries

in your example you get broadband free for 6 months but your package will go up by £5 a month after 6 months so they will have clawed the free bit back in a year.
      He's on Sky Talk so the £10 per mth for Unlimited will stay.

If Sky had kept the £10 with or without Sky Talk, then I would have stayed. Like you said, I only left Sky BB because

1) Sky put my broadband price up
      2) I could get o2 at my exchange and the cashback

Whereas Sky could have kept the lower price and not had to worry about giving the equivalent rise back in the form of 6 months free.