Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line info problem

This is a discussion on Line info problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I recently joined sky connect from Orange broadband and so far not happy at all but that's why i'm ...

xxnamxx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01263
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Line info problem

Hi

I recently joined sky connect from Orange broadband and so far not happy at all but that's why i'm here to try and sort out the problem ok so i did speed-tests when i got the internet and they were around about 7.5mb brill thats what they are normally at but heres the problem video streaming is very very and i mean very slow (Vidzone that was built to be fast is very slow on ps3 ) im just confused on
      the fact that my download speed test shows fast but downloads are slow and video streaming is slow, internet browsing on the other hand is pretty fast so no problem there, i am also having a problem with the router as the wireless is rubbish i cant even leave the room and get a signal you have to sit right next to the
      box (useless!) i have done some searching around this forum found a few things to test and got a strange issue i did a test that someone said to do and this came up

Line Info: Compatibility issue found. This could be several things eg. existing ADSL connection, pending ADSL order on line, ISDN, DACS, TPON, LLU, some alarm systems.

now i know this must be a fault then and not sure on where to start with fixing?
      this problem or doing test to see whats wrong so a bit of help will be nice please.

Heres some more info on router if needed

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time

WAN PPPoA 30611 39232 0 0 0 0:33:20
      LAN 353461 332823 0 0 0 31:38:21
      WLAN 19890 14185 0 0 0 31:37:56
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6880 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 18.0 db 8.0 db
      Noise Margin 14.9 db 22.0 db

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Line info problem

Line Info: Compatibility issue found. This could be several things eg. existing ADSL connection, pending ADSL order on line, ISDN, DACS, TPON, LLU, some alarm systems.
      Quite simply means that you already have ADSL

As for slow speeds / browsing etc are they OK before 5pm and after Midnight?

If so classic symptons of Connect and the traffic shaping / management.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

ok cheers found the problem about slow speeds it was their traffic management sorted that now but wireless sill suck can only go 2 metres and its on a high shelf and well away from electrics like wireless phones.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Unless they have just spent 100,00's to cure your traffic shaping then they have done nothing.

Sky Connect is severly over capacity and so everyone is hit during peak hours 5pm-midnight, sometimes earlier. There is nothing you can do your end and other than Sky spending the 's to pay BT for more bandwidth then nothing will change.

The standard advice is to move to a better managed ISP, the sooner the better. There are many threads on this topic, you may want to check them out.

Thanks

nah its sorted cuz they told me to try n stop downloading,video streaming etc for 2 days and see if the speed goes back up and its has (sky still suck but at least it bit faster now) lol
      i want to change but im not sure what the contract involves they prob wont let me cancel.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxnamxx View Post
      nah its sorted cuz they told me to try n stop downloading,video streaming etc for 2 days and see if the speed goes back up and its has (sky still suck but at least it bit faster now) lol
      i want to change but im not sure what the contract involves they prob wont let me cancel.
      To sort the wireless -

Change the channel on your router from auto-06. There's a tutorial somewhere on this site if you have a little search. That should sort it.

Thanks

I promise you, it isn't sorted, maybe it has improved a little because most of the kids are back in school so there is less traffic.

Try again after 5pm to see what really happens.

If you think you have a wireless issue then you could try a wire or as suggeste

As for leaving, you will not have a problem, just get your MAC and go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      I promise you, it isn't sorted, maybe it has improved a little because most of the kids are back in school so there is less traffic.

Try again after 5pm to see what really happens.

If you think you have a wireless issue then you could try a wire or as suggeste

As for leaving, you will not have a problem, just get your MAC and go.
      kk what do i just ask for the mac code and tell em i wana cancel?

Thanks

Yes, ring and tell them that you require a MAC code so you can move to another ISP, if they ask why, tell them that the service is not useable and you are not prepared to put up with it.

Lots of people on this forum have already done this without a problem even thouse with new contracts, Sky won't want any fuss over it as they do know they have a problem.

REMEMBER, you want a MAC code, do not mention the word cancel as this is totally different, you want to migrate away.

You then have 30 days to find another ISP and give them the MAC code. Post your exchange details if you want any advice on what and who are available to you.