Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband Usage Allowance

This is a discussion on Broadband Usage Allowance within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I got an email from sky to say I was over the limit for my broadband. I'm on base ...

allans77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bathgate
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Broadband Usage Allowance

Hi I got an email from sky to say I was over the limit for my broadband. I'm on base package for last 3 years without any problems. Ise ot for mainly surfing net and email. When I called they said I was over again for this month and in October I hadn't used any at all. IS there anyrthing I can do to check why Ive used so much from my end. Wating on Sky to get back to me.

thanks for all your help and best wishes for 2010.

Bryan

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Broadband Usage Allowance

go to Sky.com and go to the MySky section. You can check your usage there...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've done that but all it lets me see is nov and dec and nothing before that at all.

Bryan

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

the usage tool is new. it was released within the past month or 2 so its not going to show you any data from before the utility was invented and released.

i assume you are looking to check your usage for the past 3 years because sky have only informed you that you have gone over the limit recently, however it is likely that you are using the same amount of bandwith as ever, sky have only really started enstating their usage policy on customers since the usage tool was developed(the usage policy also changed slightly). of course the usage tool is new, and with all new features(especially with sky) there will be bugs at the start.

maybe you could try and download a bandwith monitoring tool for your pc? if you only use one pc in the house then you can compare the results of an independant bandwith montitoring tool with sky's usage tool and see if theres a gap between the two!!

hope this helps

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thats for the info. I'll keep an eye on bandwith.

thanks again

Ageing Juvenule is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01244
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had an email yesterday (10.01.10) to say I had used 75% of my monthly allowance. I am on the everyday package. My month starts on 09.01.10, so in 2 days I have used about 7.5Gb of my allowance - no way. My previous month was about 4.5Gb usage. So something is going on somewhere.

I have been on to Sky but they were unable to help. Ran a virus check on both my Mac and PC, nothing showed up.

So watch this space. It will be interesting to see if anyone else is having the same problem.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ageing Juvenule View Post
      I had an email yesterday (10.01.10) to say I had used 75% of my monthly allowance. I am on the everyday package. My month starts on 09.01.10, so in 2 days I have used about 7.5Gb of my allowance - no way. My previous month was about 4.5Gb usage. So something is going on somewhere.

I have been on to Sky but they were unable to help. Ran a virus check on both my Mac and PC, nothing showed up.

So watch this space. It will be interesting to see if anyone else is having the same problem.
      did you do any downloading/video streaming between the 9th and the 10th or does anybody else in the house use a computer on the network? what do you use the internet for?

i think it would be very hard to use 7.5gb in 24 hours without being aware of it so its likely that sky have messed up somewhere(and obviously the whole of last month was 4.5gb)! the tool is new but you would expect it to be bug free if they are going to use its results when determining whether to automatically upgrade you/auto increase your bill!

has anybody else had issues like this?? i think it would be useful if somebody is able to compare sky's usage tool stats to an independant bandwith checker and see what the variation is although you could only connect this one pc to the router whilst testing this..

oxter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01224 - Aberdeen West Thorngrove
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

BBC i-player uses a lot if you are using that to view progs