Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What speed should I get?

This is a discussion on What speed should I get? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I upgraded from the Everyday package to Unlimited yesterday (something which sky said would take but a few ...

blenko is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brighouse
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD (Multi)
      Thanks

What speed should I get?

Hi All,

I upgraded from the Everyday package to Unlimited yesterday (something which sky said would take but a few hours - don't know whether this is a standard message or if that is really the case) but my connection has change not one bit. All the stats are the same as before (please see below).

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8191 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 19.7 db
      Noise Margin 12.5 db 19.5 db

My exchange is, as the crow flies, less than 1.5km - maybe even less than 1km - away, although I appreciate this cable may in fact be much longer.

My questions are:

1.) Based on the above, what speed should I be getting on the Unlimited package (I've read that I could connect at upto 14Mb)

2.) From the above stats, is it possible to tell whether I am actually recieving the Unlimited package yet, or is it likely the order is still being processed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Carl

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: What speed should I get?

Chances are you have now been put on the Unlimited package but DLM will need to run to configure the line for the new profile. This normally starts within 72hrs and can take upto 10days to finish.

You will do well to get 14mb but 12mb should be around the mark. It may be worth plugging into the test socket if you have one to see if your stats improve.

Thanks

Hi there Smithy99,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've just tried the router directly in the test socket but saw no change (save for a 0.1 / 0.2 decrease in the downstrean Noise Margin) in the stats.

Looks like I'll have to leave it for a few days and check back then. To be honest, I'm not that unhappy with the 8Mb I'm getting now as I dont do too much downloading, but really want a fast upload speed.

Thanks again,

Carl

TheVoyager is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: WRBRIX
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Unl.Fibre
      Router: TP-Link VR2600
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB *2
      Thanks

Upload should go to about 1024 kbs
      Bob

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blenko View Post
      Hi there Smithy99,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've just tried the router directly in the test socket but saw no change (save for a 0.1 / 0.2 decrease in the downstrean Noise Margin) in the stats.

Looks like I'll have to leave it for a few days and check back then. To be honest, I'm not that unhappy with the 8Mb I'm getting now as I dont do too much downloading, but really want a fast upload speed.

Thanks again,

Carl
      If you want a fast upload speed, then something like o2/Be you could have a look at as these the network is suited more to getting that little more out of the upstream.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Although I agree that O2 may do a bit more finite tweeking there won't be that much between them to bother with all the messing unless you have another reason to move also.

I also doub't you will get the very top upload speed, most seem to get close but not quite there.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I've looked into both O2 and BE (don't they use the same underlying infrastructure just with O2 doing more "shaping"??) but being an existing O2 customer with the iPhone - and being involved in a long running battle with them over their 2G and 3G service commitments in Southwark, London - I'm a bit nervous about signing up with them for 12 months for broadband. I work for myself and spendquite some time working from my home office and the thought of having O2 provide both voice and data for my business makes me shudder

Having said that, does anyone have any comments regarding either the O2 or BE service provision and also the respective customer support.

I tried "negotiating" a deal with BE but they wouldn't offer anything that great to be honest, despite them matching SKYs Unlimited deal for a friend of mine. I'm a tight northener you see and like to spend my beer tokens wisely, although I might just have to bite the bullet and go for it (after all, you get what you pay for and all that).

Thanks again for all the advice.

Carl

Thanks

Hello again,

My connection speed had now changed after "upgrading" to the Unlimited package from the 8Mb service. However, rather than increasing, my downstream connection has actuallly decreased . . .

My assumption was that I should be getting at least 10 - 12Mb and 1Mb upstream, but as you can see below, that ain't the case.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 19.6 db
      Noise Margin 12.4 db 13.0 db

I would appreciate any assistance on this one before I get in touch with SKY as I'd at least like to go in with some questions for them.

Many thanks,

Carl

TheVoyager is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: WRBRIX
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Unl.Fibre
      Router: TP-Link VR2600
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB *2
      Thanks

They will probably run DLM on your line to see what is the best your line can support, so give it up to 10 days, you may find in that time the connection speed fluctuates until it settles down, if nothing appens then yes, get in touch with them, if you normally leave your router on 24/7 then try one reboot, just in case the connection speed is stuck on your old setting, also if you normally turn our router off at night, then it may pay you to leave it on whilst DLM is taking place.
      Bob