Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Thinking of leaving Sky BB Connect - how do I know if BT will be any better?

This is a discussion on Thinking of leaving Sky BB Connect - how do I know if BT will be any better? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hiya everyone, I have been reading these forums for a while now and i'm just about at the end of ...

nickosbad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thinking of leaving Sky BB Connect - how do I know if BT will be any better?

Hiya everyone, I have been reading these forums for a while now and i'm just about at the end of my tether with my connect sky BB speeds

I work for sky so get my broadband for free so shouldn't really be complaining but my speeds fluctuate massively throughout the day, right now i'm getting speeds of around 0.5 meg, running speedtests will give varying results between .5 right up to 3 meg but when i actually try and use the connection to download anything the speed is not what is shown in the test, i'm currently trying to download a demo from PSN and it is 800mb and telling me it will take 1200 minutes!!!!

I have spent many hours on the phone to sky and they have even sent me a new router but this has not fixed the problem

I live in warrington and the exchange (westwood) is only 500m away from me (as told by sky tech support) but it is not unbundled so I was thinking of switching to BT due to their advertising saying no slowdown at peak times but is there any way of checking if it will be a better service than the one i'm getting right now??

There's a few houses with BT hot spots that I could pay to log into, will that give me an indication of what I would be able to receive

thanks for any help

Nick

2. Advertisement
      Rahat786786 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ilford
      Broadband ISP: O2 Broadband
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Thinking of leaving Sky BB Connect - how do I know if BT will be any better?

Any BT branded product is heavily throttled. Some are more throttled than others I believe but i will leave this thread to someone with more knowledge as i dont want to give you false hopes.

emrobin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Warboys
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Thinking of leaving Sky BB Connect - how do I know if BT will be any better?

Doesn't BT have their own unlimited, unthrottled plans?
      Peak usage speed test

Medicuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Poplar
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Sky TV: Free to Air
      Thanks

Your best bet would be cable if you can get Virgin, there are no LLU at that exchange

firehawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

have you tried the suggestions on this forum/site?
      Things like, connecting it to the test socket behind the faceplate?
      Maybe even switching around the modem cable from the router to the ADSL filter?
      Maybe try a different ADSL filter?

SKY Fibre Optic pro unlimited!

nickosbad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yep, tried everything, new filter, plugged straight into the test socket, new router and still no better. I am being throttled at an unbelieveable level. The frustrating thing is that the speedtests give good readings until I actually try and use the download speed for something like youtube etc then it slows right down. It's almost like i have a download limit that is reached as soon as i start anything.

Virgin cable is not available so my only other main option is BT who say on their speedtest site that i should be able to get upto 7.5 meg, i would be happy with between 2-3 meg if it was available all the time and not just in off peak times

If i were to switch to BT and it was poor is there a cooling off peripd where you can cancel without penalty??

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Try:- Zen, Plusnet or IdNet, all use the BT equipment but manage it much better.

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Try:- Zen, Plusnet or IdNet, all use the BT equipment but manage it much better.
      zen is the best but does come with a price tag and did not offer a 24 meg option when i was last with them (over a year ago)

I have heard good things about o2/be, but best i can suggest you visit thinkbroadband :: The UK's largest independent Broadband / ADSL comparison & review website they got all the info, reveiws as well as having a forum for each ISP and they get alot of feed back and ISP uses using it so you can get it from the horses mouth so to speak,

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medicuk View Post
      Your best bet would be cable if you can get Virgin, there are no LLU at that exchange
      yea right, the onlyone that worth cosidering is the xl package apart from that they no where near the best due to trafic managment and traffic shaping