Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

very slow speeds

This is a discussion on very slow speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi i have just recently switched over from AOL to sky (since AOL was annoying me too much) and having ...

soultoyo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01435 86
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Angry very slow speeds

Hi i have just recently switched over from AOL to sky (since AOL was annoying me too much) and having it for 6 days now i have experienced awful connection speeds. From the Extension socket i was receiving around 1mbp and then it dropped to 0.6mbps and now has dropped further again to 0.16mbps. I have been reading some of the solutions to these problems on the forum, but firstly I'm not to sure whether the DLM has kicked in or not and secondly i have now plugged in the router into the master socket and had done a broadband speedtest on speedtest.net and i received 1.36mbps. I'm on sky connect i should be getting around 5mbps and here is what the router is currently getting from the master socket:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19 db 11 db
      Noise Margin 11 db 14 db

When the router was plugged into the extension socket there was only a Increase of 1DB, at one point though the line attenuation did reach 36db when the router was connected to the extension socket. If anymore information is needed to solve this problem then i'll be happy to provide it.

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: very slow speeds

The only way to cure it is to move from Sky Connect, it is over capacity and so hevily throttles especially at peak times (5pm-midnight).

There are many threads about this, just do a search.

Thanks

I cant move from sky connect since it is the only thing supported within my area. From the stats though are the line attenuation and the noise margins ok? and also i have just done a speedtest yet again to see if there has been any difference and the connection has dropped yet again to 0.61mbps.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soultoyo View Post
      firstly I'm not to sure whether the DLM has kicked in or not
      You'll be on the training period for the connect package (RAMBo) which should find your max stable rate after 10 days.

and secondly i have now plugged in the router into the master socket and had done a broadband speedtest on speedtest.net and i received 1.36mbps. I'm on sky connect i should be getting around 5mbps and here is what the router is currently getting from the master socket:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19 db 11 db
      Noise Margin 11 db 14 db

When the router was plugged into the extension socket there was only a Increase of 1DB, at one point though the line attenuation did reach 36db when the router was connected to the extension socket. If anymore information is needed to solve this problem then i'll be happy to provide it.

Many thanks
      If your attenuation shot up whilst in the extension socket, then you'll want to keep it in the master socket. It's not a good idea to use extension sockets or extension cables for dsl. From the stats, your sync speed is fine - it'll probably jump up to 8128kbps by the end of the stabilisation period however.

The main problem is that you're on the connect package. It's traffic shaped between 5pm-12am heavily and is documented on this forum if you have a look around if you wish to read up on it a bit more. All you can do it wait until the 10 days are over and then visit the following link:

Test Result

Enter your telephone number and click go. Then for the username enter your MAC address (found on the bottom of the router with no colons) and add '@skydsl' at the end. i.e. 001E83F8020@skydsl.

Check your IP profile - if it is around 6.5mb or thereabouts, which it in most cases with a sync like yours will be, then there's really nothing you can do about it and it will be down to the peak time traffic shaping. However, if the IP profile is considerably lower, then you can have a case to get it sorted.

Additionally, speedtest.net will not give you the most accurate readings. Use the official BT speedtest website I linked to above instead.

Thanks

Sky Connect is a BT rebadged product, there are many other suppliers out there who can offer the same thing but manage their network much better than Sky do.

Try: Plusnet, Zen, IdNet to name a few.

Your stats are not the problem, the product is, nothing you do will change that. The package is very congested especially during the holidays.

The only soloution is to switch ISP's which many have that were stuck in your position, read some of the other threads about this, they will advise on the best way to get out of your contract without penalty.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I cant move from sky connect since it is the only thing supported within my area. From the stats though are the line attenuation and the noise margins ok? and also i have just done a speedtest yet again to see if there has been any difference and the connection has dropped yet again to 0.61mbps.
      You should not be under traffic shaping at this very moment. Unless the stabilisation period is giving those kind of readings, the problem is going to lie locally. Are you connecting wirelessly or via ethernet? If wireless, connect an ethernet cable and run another speedtest.

Thanks

It is not traffic shaping, that implies that there is some sort of organisation to the traffic, there is not, they are just trying put too much information down a small pipe, everything is getting affected.

Christmas is a hard time for networks and even more so for networks that already have problems and I wouldn't be surprised if the heavy traffic is starting a few hours before peak time and running a few hours after.

Thanks

im connecting via the ethernet, i don't do speed tests on the wireless since the results are not accurate at all, thanks for all of the help i will take this all into account, because i had to move the router to the master socket, does that mean that the 10 day (RAMbo) training period would be reset and means i have to wait a further 10 days?

Thanks

No, the RAMBO would only re-start if you had a sequence of router drops, the odd one should make no difference.

You shoule do as advised above and do your tests vis BT and chck you line profile to be sure but I suspect it is just the Sky Connect package that is holding you back.

stelarge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01793
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premier
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

is this speed normal for Sky connect package (17.00 pcm)??

This pingtest result has gone up to A from F in the space of 10 minutes. What could be happening, I am also getting a lot of server not found errors (about 30 a day)!
      The speed test for DL speed has shot up to 0.81M/b from 0.38M/b and UL speed is still 0.36M/b in the same time. But about two months ago I had a result of over 6.4M/b DL speed.. Wierd!!!
      is it worth swapping over to O2 premier broadband??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast