Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Upstream speed higher than Downstream?

This is a discussion on Upstream speed higher than Downstream? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My upstream connection is running higher than my downstream, I live in a rural area a fair distance from the ...

markg65 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01236
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Upstream speed higher than Downstream?

My upstream connection is running higher than my downstream, I live in a rural area a fair distance from the exchange, but is this right? Any help or information would be appreciated.
      Stats :-

DG834GT running V1.03.87 firmware.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 384 kbps 476 kbps
      Line Attenuation 71.0 db 43.6 db
      Noise Margin 8.3 db 6.0 db

Poll Interval 10 secs.

There doesnt seem to be a Master or test socket in the house, main socket had an ADSL filter fixed to it by a Sky engineer. The router is connected to an extension off this, i've plugged the router directly into the main socket but have got the same speeds consistently.

Thanks,
      Mark

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Upstream speed higher than Downstream?

Although it says Connect in your Profile I think you are on an LLU package. Coatbridge and Airdrie both have Sky enabled exchanges, so unless you are on another one you are unlikely to have Connect.
      Your have a very long line and are unlikely to get much speed, but you may get a bit more. You appear to be on ADSL2+ which is not always best for long lines, a move to G.DMT may give you a better speed. It is sometimes difficult, but you must phone Sky and ask Tier 1 to pass you to the Customer Solutions Team so that they can try your connection on G.DMT. If the first ones refuse, call back and get another agent, if they refuse, demand to speak to a Manager or be passed to CST immediately. It is not easy, but try to be polite with your demands.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markg65 View Post
      The router is connected to an extension off this, i've plugged the router directly into the main socket but have got the same speeds consistently.
      On top of what Isitme suggested, do you mean you're you using an extension cable or extension socket for the bb? Either way, if you plug just a filter into the master socket with the sky supplied light grey dsl cable and unplug any other telephony devices in the house and re-post the stats to check if any difference is apparent (specifically in noise margin).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

main socket had an ADSL filter fixed to it by a Sky engineer
      Sorry I missed this bit earlier. Sky fitters do not fit filters, they fit simple splitters which are often dodgy. If this is what you are talking about, take it out and plug the ADSL filter directly into the socket and plug the router into that using the cable supplied by Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.