Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

worries!!

This is a discussion on worries!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok here goes.Recentley got sky hd tele..happy with it ..also got sky broadband connect,as this was the only one I ...

lindala is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: dunhalm
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

worries!!

Ok here goes.Recentley got sky hd tele..happy with it ..also got sky broadband connect,as this was the only one I could get due to distance from exchange.Says it gives me 2mb.I use my computer everday for browsing a few emails,and some online bingo,I dont download music or watch films on internet.I found these speeds.. havent a clue what they mean...Download2392kbps Upload 375kbps.At the moment Im happy with connection and speed of things,but Im getting bit worried will things change eg.get slower,,,and this 2mb,,will it be enough for my browsing,I read somewhere that there is an 8 day cooling off period.(I download pictures from my digital camera,scenery etc..is this taken into acount)Many thanks for any replies I may receive.( I also have my telephone line rental and unlimited calls from Sky.P.S I pay 10 for the connect broadband,insted of 17

2. Advertisement
      emrobin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Warboys
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: worries!!

Sky Connect is simply a rebadged BT product that is HEAVILY traffic shaped between 1700-2400 (per SKY), but I find that they throttle my line between 1600-0100. It's a terrible product. I had the option of getting an unlimited, unshaped package from BT. I tried to get that set up when I first moved here, but after two months of waiting, I gave up. Not knowing how bad Sky Connect was, I signed up and have been living with the worst "broadband" I've ever had anywhere I've lived. It is plenty fast to watch streaming media at 3AM, but it's not possible during the traffic shaping hours. It's still fast enough to surf, although some patience is required as even that can be extremely slow.
      Peak usage speed test

lindala is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: dunhalm
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for reply..Do you think I should get out of Connect.I did read there was an 8 day cooling off period,Im still within the time limit.My Internet with Sky went active on 25th.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

get out now while you can, it's for the best...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

emrobin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Warboys
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lindala View Post
      Thanks for reply..Do you think I should get out of Connect.I did read there was an 8 day cooling off period,Im still within the time limit.My Internet with Sky went active on 25th.
      It really depends on what you use your internet for and what other broadband options are available to you. If you need "true" broadband during peak hours and you have LLU available in your area, switch to an unlimited/non-traffic shaped package while you still can. I wouldn't be on Sky Connect if I had a choice. In fact, I may be looking harder now that Christmas has passed. My line so traffic shaped that it's hard to do much during peak times, which is when my kids get on to do their homework and play Xbox Live. I did run across one company that did ofer unlimited/unshaped broadband, but I had a brain fart and forgot to bookmark the page. I'm under contract, but have been told my many that people have gotten out of their Sky Connect contracts due to it's significant limitations.
      Peak usage speed test