Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

PLEASE HELP. diagnose my broadband issues

This is a discussion on PLEASE HELP. diagnose my broadband issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I think you are going to have to do some digging and see if you can trace the incoming line. ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: PLEASE HELP. diagnose my broadband issues

I think you are going to have to do some digging and see if you can trace the incoming line. When you remove the faceplates, do you only see the one set of wires soming to it? (can you post a pic of these with the wires exposed).

Also, make sure you have the ADSL filter plugged into the socket as the very FIRST thing, before any other splitters or equipment etc.

The easiest way to trace the master socket is by tracing the main incomming BT line, the first socket connected to it should be the master. Is there anything outside the flat where it could be fitted, a service cupboard etc?

I suspect that this is the reason your your dire speeds but without correcting it there is nothing you can do.

2. Advertisement
      danielgough07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

behind the plate downstairs there are two white cables coming into it, both with thin blue and white wires coming out into the back of the faceplate. the one upstairs has just one of these, so looks to be an extension from the downstairs plate.

with respect to the downstairs plate one of the white cables must be coming from some form of master socket in the building, but its hard for me to locate. i assumed it would be near where the shared sky dish feeds to, and where the electric and water meters are,in the underground car park.

do you think there is some form of wiring fault? i paid bt for the activation of my bt line as this is a new property, and i understand that i am getting my own line, but surely if it is a run off from one or a set of master sockets somewhere else in the building the signal strength will be weakened. am i right?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Bt will have fitted the cable to and the master socket, there is a good chance that the rest has been done via the electricians or similar. If they have ran in cheap cable then this could cause the issues, especially if they have ran them along truncking with some other electrical cables etc.

I would consider removing the wires that run to the second socket and then treat the first one as a master and see if your stats improve, you can then always put them back if needed or fit a filtered faceplate and NTE5 socket if there is an inprovement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12