Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Really need advice on where to go..

This is a discussion on Really need advice on where to go.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I really could really do with some help and advice on where to go with this fault. I swapped ...

Andys89 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Really need advice on where to go..

Hello,

I really could really do with some help and advice on where to go with this fault. I swapped over to Sky Max BB in September and had a cracking service for the first month although i was a bit annoyed you HAD to use their poor Wireless G router (next to nothing in signal strength).

After a month, they changed over the equipment in my exchange (October 8th) to Sky equipment. On the 9th of October my internet started cutting out and the phone had a large amount of noise. I replaced the filters on EVERY socket and then I referred the fault to Sky 'Customer Solution/SBVN' departments and they sent an Engineer to my house. A week went by and they called us and arranged an engineer visit for a Sunday morning. The engineer turned up, replaced the master socket and left saying it would really need a broadband engineer if the fault re-occurs. 30-40 minutes later the fault came back.

I rang up Sky again, was on hold for 1 hr 54 minutes to speak to someone. Did the same tests with the socket again. He said said he would refer it to someone else and i would get a call in 72 hours. About a week later i get a call saying the fault should be fixed and to test the internet and should call again if it goes wrong. For 2 days it worked fine with about 1 disconnect. After those two days, the Internet and phone became unusable. Constant noise, no dial tone, no internet for about a week then i decided to call Sky on my mobile. I waited on hold for about 40 minutes to speak to T2 as i could not get passed directly through to T3. When i got through i got cut off. That 40 mins on hold cost 8 too. Eventually i got so tired of it, i called up Sky with the noisy phone and shouted down the phone. I eventually got it to work for long enough to get someone to call me back. They proceeded to do the same phone line tests again saying it was 'passing'. She then passed my through to someone who turned off my internet for about 5 minutes then brought it back up and he raised another visit for an Engineer. After this, the internet worked temporarily and i would only need to phone my house phone to get the internet to connect for about an hour.

It was tolerable and i did not need to call Sky again. This was like this for about 3 weeks but in the past week it has gone wrong again. Internet has been cutting every 3-5 minutes. I called Sky again and got passed through to the usual department who asked me if i had done the line checks and everything. Then they said they would need to send an Engineer to the house again. I asked why (since i have already had one and they said it was fine), and they gave me a really bad excuse of that they didn't fix it and said someone would call me back in 72 hours. In the mean time, i need to call my house phone to have my internet connect and sometimes when i do that i can hear someone elses telephone conversation and their phone dialing and the women whos speak is on the phone for hours! Then crackling will start up again.

I've still have not received a call from Sky and im wondering if me being able to hear someone else's phone conversations (only faint but audible) is what could be causing my disconnections? Should i try and log a fault with BT saying i can hear someone else's phone conversation when they are using it? I really do not want to pay 165 for an Engineer to come here say its all fine, leave and have the problem ongoing. I just don't know what to do with this fault. It's 3 months down the line and i think Sky just don't care.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Really need advice on where to go..

Fault on the line or exchange explains the calls being audible and the same would cause disconnections. No point logging a fault with BT after leaving as you won't be on the same equipment at exchange so the fault may go away.
      First thing to do is raise a formal complaint with Sky about the non repair of the ongoing fault, once you have followed the complaint procedure you can then tell them you want to leave as they are not providing a proper service on your line.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Would I have to log a formal complaint to leave Sky? I was unsure if there was a 12 month minimum contract. I don't really want to leave Sky as it's great in regards to price. Although I am shocked at the inefficiency of their technical support. Being on the phone for 2hrs to someone who honestly doesn't sound like they have a clue what they are talking about.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

TV, Phone and broadband are all under a 12 month contract. If you want to leave any within the period, you will have to lodge an official complaint that they are not fit for purpose. The sooner you start this the better.

You might want to try emailing the CEO with your complaint, this sometimes gets quick action, jeremy.darroch at sky.com.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Don't email the CEO, write to him and send it by registered post so you have full proof. That should get you some decent help from the troubleshooters employed for just such problems.

I had a similar problem with BT and I eventually reached a conclusion after writing to the Office of the Chairman at BT's HQ. That's why I'm now with Sky!

Good luck.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Still haven't hear anything from Sky. Saw a BT openreach engineer down the road today, I asked him to do checks on everything in my house. He said everything was fine. He then told me that they were fitting a Fibre Optics cabinet and ~60MB/s Broadband would be available. I asked him when this was happening and he said it would take 1 month for planning permission and another 21 days for works to be done. He said in around 3 months it should be up and running however the service would only be offered by BT. I was unaware that BT were installed Fibre Optic cable, will Sky offer this service? If not I'm ditching Sky and going back to BT and waiting for this new service.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

He said in around 3 months it should be up and running however the service would only be offered by BT
      I think he is telling porkies. Have a look at this - Carphone and Sky push BT on broadband - ICT\cn-c114 C114 - China Communication Network There are many other reports of this nature on the Web. What you must remember is that BT Openreach, who are doing the upgrades and BT Broadband are two separate companies. Both are owned by the BT Group but are run separately. For one thing, Ofcom would not allow BT Broadband to have a monopoly on fibre phone lines and apart from that, it would not be financially viable for BTO to sell their product to one company.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

SVBN is hugely understaffed from what I hear - around 100 cst agents for a pretty big network at the moment if I'm correct.

Regarding the problem, it sounds like a crossed-wires issue. If you've had one engineer just doing a health check at your premises then it seems you'll need another engineer out to check the exchange/external line.