Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homeplugs?

This is a discussion on Homeplugs? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I want to purchase homeplugs but i'm slightly confused. First off, sorry if this is the wrong section, i dont ...

Rahat786786 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ilford
      Broadband ISP: O2 Broadband
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Homeplugs?

I want to purchase homeplugs but i'm slightly confused. First off, sorry if this is the wrong section, i dont know where to post!

Devolo 1437 dLAN Highspeed Devolo dLAN Highspeed Starter KIt 3 Pack - cheap Powerline Home Networking - Dixons.co.uk

I want to get that but i have a few questions:

Would they give me 3 plugs so that i can use it on 3 devices, and another 1 for the router? Or do i just get 2 for devices and 1 for router?
      Secondly, if i connect with the test socket will these still work?
      And will i see a great reduction in download speeds? These have a rate of 85mbps.

2. Advertisement
      kevin_g is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Coatbridge
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Homeplugs?

Hello! That looks to me like you get 3 plugs in the box, so 1 for the router and 2 for devices.

It should still work from the TS, your house's wiring is seperate from the telephone cabling. That's why your phone still works in a power cut. If you're not already connected to your TS though, be aware that while you've got the faceplate removed from the master socket none of the phone extension sockets in the house will work.

Your question about download speeds I cannot answer 100% certainty, but I'm about almost sure that your speeds won't be drastically affected.

The 85mbps referred to is the transfer rate between the router and devices through the homeplug system, which is way faster than your router is going to be downloading from the net.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As the plugs provide an ethernet connection you don't need to use 1 plug per device, if you have multiple devices in the same room you can just use a 5 or 8 port switch.

And a switch is something like 10 on Amazon, much chepaer than multiple homeplugs.

To be honest a 3 pack for 70 is very expensive, I use the max value ones sold on Amazon.co.uk.

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

if you really need 3 you can add 1 more on for 20 but as I said before you only need 1 plug by the router and 1 in the room that you want to connect up.

As for speed 85 meg/sec is pefectly fine for internet use as that will still be much much faster than the speed of your connection, the only thing it may affect if you download a lot of big files on your home network.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

if you have multiple devices in the same room you can just use a 5 or 8 port switch.
      What is that mate? Can i have a link?

Also, could it be from a high street retailer as i want to pick it up asap.

Thanks

Here is the one I use

NEWLink 8 Port 10/100 Ethernet Switch,Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

if you go into a store you just need a 10/100 network switch, unfortunately going to the high street means you will pay well over the odds for one.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You can also get a combined switch/homeplug, like this - 3Port adapter This is useful if you have more than one device to connect in the same room. The seller of this item has a wide range of plugs. If your devices are in different rooms, then you need one plug for each device. They will not increase your actual download speed, unless you have been using wireless.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

MR Pieman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01606
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

HI
      Merry Christmas, take a look a Solwise's own site for prices they seem very competitive compared to retail outlets and Ebay. Good customer service from a smallish Uk operation.
      Regards

Thanks

Thanks alot for the help guys, really appreciated! I cannot use the 3port one as my devices are in different rooms. Can i set it up like this?

Room 1- Homeplug-Ethernet switch-Device 1 and 2
      Room 2- Homeplug- Device 3

And obviously the first homeplug connected to the router?

Thanks

Yup that should work.

Thanks

Ok, i purchased the homeplugs and everything, now im just awaiting activation because i moved houses. There is one slight problem. On my dlink 2740b router there is only 1 LAN light on even though i have multiple devices connected via the switch. This is a problem as i would like to configure ports for my ps3 and so on. So, even though 1 LAN light is on, will the router still distinguish the other devices, give them an individual ip and allow me to configure them individually?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast