Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky broadband "Fair Useage policy"

This is a discussion on Sky broadband "Fair Useage policy" within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Good Morning, I wondered if somebody could give me a steer on this one. I've recently received an email from ...

timwintle1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kidsgrove
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky broadband "Fair Useage policy"

Good Morning,

I wondered if somebody could give me a steer on this one. I've recently received an email from sky informing me that I have exceeded the download limit for my package and that should I do it again in the next 5 months, they will automatically upgrade my braodband to the next package up which has an unlimited download limit, rather than 10GB.

Whilst I don't think this unreasonable, I wondereed where I stood, given that Sky recommended I go on their middle package on the basis my line cannot achieve the faster connection speed.

Mid package - 5 per month - "Up to 8Mbit"
      Full package - 10 per month - "Up to 20Mbit"

Given that they can only get my line to achieve between 4 and 6 Mbit, I don't think it's entirely fair that they charge me the increased 5 charge for the new broadband package.

Interestingly, Sky recently moved the goalposts on their T's & C's, I believe to facilitate being able to move a significant proportion of their customers up 1 package, which means more 's for them.

My question then, can they force me to change packages to a higher price package when they cannot provide me with anywhere near the advertised speed of that package?

Thanks all

Regards
      Tim

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband "Fair Useage policy"

It's not the speed that is the issue it's your usage of the connection. Would you like to say how much you downloaded to get this warning? It's your download amounts that have triggered the email so it's that which they are trying to facilitate by automatically upgrading you to a tier that has no limit.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband "Fair Useage policy"

Your package has a 10gb per month download allowance, if you need more you need to upgrade, the only other option would be to either use less or move to another ISP that will offer an greater or unlimited allowance for the price (good luck finding one).

The speed is of no relevance here, some get more than others, that is the nature of the technology, even with your speeds, you can easily download way over the 10gb.