Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Sky Broadband customer (kind of)

This is a discussion on New Sky Broadband customer (kind of) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there! I've been with the dreaded company AOL for about a decade and I've finally left them due to ...

uk_chris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New Sky Broadband customer (kind of)

Hi there!

I've been with the dreaded company AOL for about a decade and I've finally left them due to the connection being poorer than ever (persistent 1-3mb speeds). I've looked at my local exchange and all the high-speed technology seems to be present and most of the popular ISPs are serving in my area (rightly so since I live in London).

During the cancellation process with AOL, which was horrid might I add - the 'sales rep' told me that my exchange is only capable of 6mb, which insulted the company since they were only giving me 1-3mb on the top package. However the broadband checker sites such as SamKnows etc say that ADSL2+ is enabled. Now I'm probably a 1 minute walk away from my exchange. What speeds could I expect with the Sky Unlimited package?

Also, what routers are they sending out at the moment? I hope it ain't that Sagem garbage, I have a netgear at the moment and it's the most reliable I've had.
      Thanks,
      Chris
      Last edited by uk_chris; 23-12-09 at 09:48 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: New Sky Broadband customer (kind of)

most of the popular ISPs are serving in my area (rightly so since I live in London).
      So do most of the junkies, drunks and dropouts, and your welcome to them.

What speeds could I expect with the Sky Unlimited package?
      No one can say for certain till they see your stats, but if you are on 2 mins walk from your exchange you should be good for 18-20Mb, provided you can get Sky Unlimited. Have you checked there are spaces at the exchange? You may be put on Connect on a temporary basis until a slot becomes available if the exchange is full. Keep your fingers crossed you are not, I would not wish that on anyone, even a Londoner.

You will get either a Netgear or the Sagem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

uk_chris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Broadband customer (kind of)

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      So do most of the junkies, drunks and dropouts, and your welcome to them.

No one can say for certain till they see your stats, but if you are on 2 mins walk from your exchange you should be good for 18-20Mb, provided you can get Sky Unlimited. Have you checked there are spaces at the exchange? You may be put on Connect on a temporary basis until a slot becomes available if the exchange is full. Keep your fingers crossed you are not, I would not wish that on anyone, even a Londoner.

You will get either a Netgear or the Sagem.
      Haha, the first bit is true

I wasn't aware of 'slots' but I did triple check (like I do with anything Sky-related) and I am able to get Sky Unlimited and will simply not pay the bill if I'm put on this Connect service if I was assured I could get the full package.

As for the Sagem, that's going right back to Sky when, or IF it turns up on my doorstep because Sky don't seem to eager to send me a router at the moment.
      Last edited by uk_chris; 24-12-09 at 12:40 AM.