Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weird Windoes Update problem

This is a discussion on Weird Windoes Update problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all. I'm tearing my hair out over this and I really hope someone here can help. I've just re-installed ...

kevin_g is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Coatbridge
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Weird Windoes Update problem

Hi all. I'm tearing my hair out over this and I really hope someone here can help.

I've just re-installed XP (with SP2) using the CD that came with my computer on to a newly formatted HDD. All the drivers are installed, Windows has been activated (via telephone - you'll see why) and everything is mostly ok.

I say 'mostly' because I cannot access any microsoft related sites. Microsoft.com gives me a page not found error as does the Windows update site. I can't ping them either. Every other website is fine (I'm using that PC to post this). I thought perhaps it was a DNS issue, but the same thing happens when I try the IP address in the browser. I switched to openDNS but the problem remains. I've tried a winsock fix - no change.

If I boot to safe mode I can get the sites to load but Windows update fails.

I'm not clueless with PCs either - I've worked tech support for AOL, TIscali and O2 broadband for the last few years - but this has me stumped.

I have 2 other PCs on the same router and they can both access the sites ok so I know it's not the Sky router. That said, a few Google searches have revealed that switching router has solved it for some people.

I'd rather fix it properly before resorting to the old BTVoyager router I have. Any ideas folks? All suggestions are appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Weird Windoes Update problem

can you download SP3 off the MS downloads site when in safe mode and then apply it when in normal winodws?

Could be worth a try.

Other than that I am wondering if it is just MS sites that are affected if your IP address is a fairly new that Sky has got one as MS has been shown in the past to be shockingly out of date when using the GeoIP files and could be blocking your IP address as their file doesn't show it as being in use.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is a long article in the knowledge base about this problem. If you can get there in Safe Mode with Networking have a look at You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates

The easiest ones to try are turning off the firewalls and Anti Virus. If these don't help and you can't get to the site, post back and I will have another look. Adrian's suggestion to install Sp3 is probably the best first thing to try.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

finally I have found the XP service pack 3 full download

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1e1555d4f3d4

you may have to download it in safe mode and apply it in normal mode as safe mode may not allow you to apply it.

I know it's 300 meg or so but it may have the fix you need in there
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Apart from anything else Sp3 will contain many of the updates you need, so it is not a waste of time, even if it does not fix your immediate problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks guys. I'll give that a try just now and post back with the outcome.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No luck guys. I was getting excited there too. I booted in safe mode, clicked on the link Undecided Adrian provided and downloaded the SP3 installer.

I rebooted in normal mode but when I try to run the installer I get an error saying "WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

Thanks

That usually means the file is corrupted or incomplete. It should be 316.4Mb. Try downloading it again. Don't use a download manager.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That usually means the file is corrupted or incomplete. It should be 316.4Mb. Try downloading it again. Don't use a download manager.
      You were right. The first download was only 279 meg. I downloaded it agian and installed it fine. So...I now have SP3 installed but I still can't get any Microsoft related sites to open.

It's so weird. Every other site I try works fine but if it's MS or Windows update related then forget it - even though it works in Safe Mode. I can't even run Windows Update in safe mode because it requires the BITS service which will only run in normal mode. I'm starting to think it's time to try the old BT Voyager.

Thanks

Can you get to the link I posted in #3? You may find something there.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast