Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Am I being Throttled?

This is a discussion on Am I being Throttled? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I got Sky Connect 2 years ago, It worked great. Then I moved away for University so I got rid ...

retro_hood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Am I being Throttled?

I got Sky Connect 2 years ago, It worked great. Then I moved away for University so I got rid of it. I returned for summer 2009, throttled for the entire 3 months. All my Download speeds were under < 1Mb/s.

Now my point being is, I left to go to University again this year at September. As soon as I left, I unplugged the router, and now that I have returned today I plugged it back in. I instantly noticed that my Downstream speeds are actually 0.75 MB/s whereas the router suggests over 8MB/s.

I was under the illusion that throttling occurs when I have excessively used Bandwidth which can't be the case since it has not been used for about 3 months.

Is this throttling or plainly bad service. I really need to know before i phone sky and voice my concern because I literally cannot watch a video on youtube as it does not stream fast enough.

Any advice would be perfect, I once again trust in you!

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Am I being Throttled?

For extra Information:

Did the BT Speedtest

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1038 Kbps
      For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
      Additional Information:
      Your DSL Connection Rate :7008 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 320 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP Profile for your line is - 6000 Kbps

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have a look at this thread in particular and the many other threads complaining about the throttling on Connect-
      (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

It does not matter how much you use, you will be throttled during the peak period.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Broadband is variable and our prices, Products and the Sky Broadband Extras can change, even during your Minimum Term. However, if we reduce the level of service provided by your chosen Product and you reasonably consider that you have been disadvantaged by this you will have a right to move to another Product or end this Contract. You can also end the Contract during your Minimum Term if we increase your Sky Broadband Payment more than once, or by more than 10% or the annual increase in the UK Retail Price Index, whichever is the greater. If you wish to end this Contract in these circumstances, then you need to let us know within one calendar month of notice of the change (Conditions 7(a), 11(c) and 11(d)).
      Thanks, I missed this part from reading earlier.

Do you think I have grounds for cancelling the contract? Or will I just be shrugged off by the many others with the same problem.

Thanks

Many others have cancelled their contract for Connect, even when within the contact period.Just ask for your MAC, be very specific and if asked if you want to cancel say no. This is important as if you don't, you will be cancelled and unable to get a MAC, with about 3 weeks to wait before you can get another ISP.

Check your exchange for LLU providers, O2 is the most recommended, but almost any will be better than Connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Many others have cancelled their contract for Connect, even when within the contact period.Just ask for your MAC, be very specific and if asked if you want to cancel say no. This is important as if you don't, you will be cancelled and unable to get a MAC, with about 3 weeks to wait before you can get another ISP.

Check your exchange for LLU providers, O2 is the most recommended, but almost any will be better than Connect.
      I'd rather just terminate the contract, Since I normally live in Dundee, I only need come back home for xmas now.

So if I simply say, that the speeds that I am receiving are unbearable, they will terminate the Broadband by the end of the paid month? Or will they argue the case to stay? or is it really simple and they understand.

Thanks

Just call them up and tell them the package is so dire you want to cancel and give 30 days notice if necessary.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Just call them up and tell them the package is so dire you want to cancel and give 30 days notice if necessary.
      Thank you, this is exactly what i wanted to hear!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Sky might say you've got to pay out the contract but they should see sense and not bother...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket