Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Going over the usage allowance

This is a discussion on Going over the usage allowance within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi We have had an email from Sky earlier today saying that we have gone over the usage allowance for ...

d3moliti0n is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Going over the usage allowance

Hi

We have had an email from Sky earlier today saying that we have gone over the usage allowance for this month (16/12/2009 - 16/01/2010). Our limit is 10GB (I'm pretty sure the second package up from the base package used to have a usage limit of 40GB per month?). The email stated 'Don't worry, we won't do anything about it this time but if you go over your allowance again in the upcoming 5 months we will upgrade you to the 20MB package'.

Does this mean we can continue using the internet as normal with regular YouTube etc. usage? Or will we have to limit usage now? The reason it was spent up so quickly is because I have downloaded a few games (legally, via the EA downloder in case you assumed otherwise) over the past three days which were all like 4GB or so in size.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

2. Advertisement
      orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Netgear D7800 (AC2600) Nighthawk
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: Going over the usage allowance

Yep the 'Mid' package used to have a usage limit of 40GB per month however Sky in their wisdom decided that 10GB was more suited to the majority of users and chopped it down by 75%. Now the usage limit as you've discovered is a measly 10gig. You'll be fine continuing to use the internet but do bear in mind that downloading files like games etc are huge and will eat up your bandwidth in no time. I would suggest that if you are a regular downloader of large files or watch tons of You Tube vids the Unlimited broadband package may suit you better. We ended up switching to Unlimited as a 10GB monthly limit is a joke.

d3moliti0n is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah, I didn't realise they had changed the limit to 10GB until we got the email which is why I have never monitored my usage until now as I have never gone over the limit before.

I think we may end up changing providers totally soon tbh as we are thinking about getting rid of Sky.

Thanks again for your help.

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you do decide to change then make sure you go to another LLU provider such as 02 or BE . Rather than a BT product, who will traffic shape you in some form of another.