Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Faulty Router

This is a discussion on Faulty Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I signed up to sky and was activated on tuesday, phone tech support up yesterday and finally got through to ...

pau1200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Halesowen
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Faulty Router

I signed up to sky and was activated on tuesday, phone tech support up yesterday and finally got through to tier 2 who put me on adsl2+ and my modem synced at 15500kbps, great i thought. Noise margine was at 7db sync speed looked good. By the time the evening came i noticed that my noise margin had dropped to between 1db and 3db, didnt seem to have disconnections but when trying the speed test on here only hit about 6mb. I rebooted the router and every time it resynced i would be stuck with a low noise margin, think i actually may have had a drop out too. I didnt phone sky as im sure there is some thing i could do. I tried to plug the router into test socket and that just increased the sync speed to just over 16000kbps but noise margin was still low.
      I had a on sky dg834gt lying around and i reflashed that last night and extracted my username and password etc and got that going. It syncs slightly slower, about 14500kbs but noise margin is about 6.9db and looked quite steady, it did take me a couple of hours to get done so not sure if i had missed a peak in usage. Oh and when i do the speed test with the dg834gt i get a good 12mb connection, but my line attenuation has gone up from 31db to 33, any ideas why?

Is the router they supplied, the dg934 faulty or is the dg834gt just a better router, should i phone sky and tell them?
      Will they know im not using the router they gave me.

Any advice is great

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Faulty Router

If you were just connected on Tuesday, DLM should be running on your line. The normal start speed for Unlimited is 4Mb, if the Sky support raised your speed immediately they have broken their own rules. The drop in your noise margin is why this is done, it should have started low and gradually raised until the maximum stable speed was reached. Starting higher than your line can support will cause the noise margin to drop, your speed to slow down and eventually the connection will drop.

Post your stats from the test socket, with nothing connected except the router. Check when the faceplate is removed that all your other sockets are dead.

It is normal for different routers to measure the attenuation differently, so don't worry about that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

o.k my stats are :

Connection Speed 15049 kbps 762 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.0 db 19.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 8.0 db

I did notice that it looks like the line a resynced itself again as the wan had only been up for a minute. Does this mean my line keeps dropping out out, or is it because they might be running DLM. Is there any way to find out?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Apart from your upstream noise margin, that is not bad. Try using another filter, that can sometimes cure this problem. Each time your noise margin drops below a certain level your connection will drop and resync again at the default rate. This will reduce your sync speed, but not necessarily your download speed. You may find that it drops again in the evening when the lines become noisier.

You can check whether your line is in DLM training by looking at the Broadband details in your MySky page, or you can phone Sky and ask them. If your speed was adjusted manually it is probably not running.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

thanks isittime for your help today, i have ordered a filtered faceplate and will try another filter in the meantime.