Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Retarded Broadband... why me?

This is a discussion on Retarded Broadband... why me? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme When the faceplate is removed, are all your extensions dead? Do you have a monitored alarm ...

badluck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01634
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Retarded Broadband... why me?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      When the faceplate is removed, are all your extensions dead? Do you have a monitored alarm system?

Remove the middle plate of the socket and check the wires connected to the A-B terminals. You should have 2 wires only connected to these. If you have more than one wire connected to each terminal, remove the extra wires and tighten up the terminals. If there are extra wires you will have to trace which are the incoming ones and make sure that these are the only ones connected.

If your phone comes in overhead, have a close look at the wiring and make sure there are no cracks or splits in the sheathing. Binoculars are useful for having a close look from ground level. If there is anything that looks dodgy, call your phone rental provider.
      I can confirm that removing the front plate does disconnect the extension wiring.

All I can say about the alarm is that it is connected to the phone line and sends a text message to the phone if the sensors are triggered.

When you say middle plate do you mean remove the whole socket and check the terminals behind? I see a black cable heading to the master socket so I assume this is the direct phone line cable. If so I will check for this. So I assume those A-B terminals are different from the 2 & 5 connections, which are the extension connections?

I will check with my scope and inspect the outside line.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

All I can say about the alarm is that it is connected to the phone line and sends a text message to the phone if the sensors are triggered.
      Is it is just plugged into an extension or hardwired to the master socket?

When you say middle plate do you mean remove the whole socket and check the terminals behind?
      Yes, you will find the A-B terminals on the back of the plate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I will let you know about the alarm soon as I'm not sure. I might be able to find out later tonight, if not, then tomorrow.

A friend of mine is going to replace the master socket with a new one hopefully tomorrow so... ALL WE BE REVEALED!!

Thanks

Remember no matter what you do, the speed will not increase right away, but if your successful, you will see a large rise in the noise margin.

Why am I cursed with these speeds?!?!
      Maybe in a previous life you were a wheel clamper?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

The alarm does run off the extension now I know!

I WOULD NEVER CLAMP ANYONE

Edit: Checked the outside line; did not find any damage.

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badluck View Post
      Yes that did seem odd to me. As the attenuation drops the speed should increase?
      In Theory, Yes.
      Unfortunately for you this isn't the case.

Their appears to be some fault with wiring, i'm guessing on the clip intake for the testsocket could have a worn out cabling that the Microfilter doesn't catch correctly, whereas the master faceplate does - If you get me?

I still think an Engineer needs to come out - Call Sky and see if you can get to CST for an LL5 Engineer to be booked.

Thanks

The master socket is now replaced with a brand spanking new one and it's STILL SLOWER IN THE TEST SOCKET OMG!!!!

Terminals have been checked as well as the 2 & 5 connectors and the extension has been replaced with new wiring.

Phoned sky and they are testing the line and they said I should not disconnect the router or turn it off.

So I will just leave it alone for now and see what happens within the next few days.

Stats plugged in master socket (not test socket)

As you can see the speed has increased a bit after I phoned sky.
      Last edited by badluck; 15-12-09 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks

and it's STILL SLOWER IN THE TEST SOCKET OMG!!!!
      If the connection are being properly made, this is just not possible. If you have extensions connected to the front plate of the socket, the test socket should give a better reading. Try another filter when you try the Test socket.

Is you alarm plugged into a filter? Is everything you have plugged into the phone circuit running through a filter? Ideally the filter should be the first thing plugged into the phone socket.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

I have tried other filters in the test socket before and has made no difference. They are brand new.

Yes, every connection to the phoneline has a filter; the alarm, the sky box and phones.

Thanks

The problem is this. What we call the 'Test socket' is the connection used by the faceplate to connect to the phone line. If the plugs are making a proper connection, anything plugged into the test socket must get the same or better result than when plugged into the faceplate. For some reason, the filter plugs are not making proper contact. If you have one, try plugging a standard Dial up lead, the one from the Sky box would do, into the Test socket and your router, no filter being used. Take the stats.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast