Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

speed slow down!!

This is a discussion on speed slow down!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; also would i need to input her static ip adrress when im setting up the router/!!!...

maw
      maw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: canterbury
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: speed slow down!!

also would i need to input her static ip adrress when im setting up the router/!!!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The difference in sync speed means that the internal wiring is pulling the speed down. Buy fit and use a filtered faceplate and that will fix the internal wiring problems.
      XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

With the BT system you will not get an immediate increase in actual speed. This is governed by the rate set or the Profile. If you remain plugged into the Test socket or fit and use a filtered faceplate, as long as the connection remains stable, the Profile will increase and allow a faster download speed .

I suspect the connection is being throttled and this is why you are not seeing the download speed you should. With a Profile of 3500, you should get pretty near that in download speed. You would have to check Plusnet's conditions to find out what their peak period is and check the speed outwith the time they 'shape'. If the line remains stable the Profile will rise to 5.500 and give you a similar download speed.

I am not sure about the static address, I did not when I was with Plusnet. Full instructions for setting up he router can be found on their site. General Broadband Setup Guide

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

maw
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Line Rate 7392 Kbps 448 Kbps
      Noise Margin 6.2 dB 24.0 dB
      Line Attenuation 38.0 dB 21.0 dB
      Output Power 19.7 dBm 11.8 dBm

these are what i got just 5min ago,its going up but downloads are still slow. also i did BT test, had to do 2nd test but could not get it work??

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You appear to be on Sky Connect, if you managed to get the BT test to work then you definately are, change your profile details to avoid confusion.

Sorry ignore that, just remembered that this is in regards to Plusnet :-)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

these are what i got just 5min ago,its going up but downloads are still slow. also i did BT test, had to do 2nd test but could not get it work??
      As I said earlier, you will not see an increase in the download speed until the Profile rises. This can take up to 3 days in some cases. Don't power down or reboot the router too often as this can be seen as a line fault and delay the Profile being set.

To do the second test you have to change the username and password in the router so that it goes direct to the BT servers. This can show whether it is BT or the ISP who is causing the problem.

If I were you I would leave it in the test socket for a couple of days to settle, do a BT test every few hours and you should see the Profile rising. If your present sync stays stable you should see a Profile of 6.500, with a corresponding download speed outside the 'shaped' period.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

maw
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hello all just to let you know that all is stable at the mo, still not been able to do the second test on the BT test site due more to time. should be able to have a go at it on thursday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12