Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Keep losing internet connection

This is a discussion on Keep losing internet connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just wondering if anyone can advise on this. Since last Thursday I have been losing my internet connection every few ...

fraser80 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dean
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Keep losing internet connection

Just wondering if anyone can advise on this. Since last Thursday I have been losing my internet connection every few hours. It's been working fine for 2+ years until now. There's no particular time it happens, it's throughout the day. I lose the green adsl light and it blinks orange every 30 secs until I get a connection again (usually hours later). There's been no change in my setup, but I moved it to the master socket as I thought this may be causing the problem, but it's just the same.
      Iíve logged in to the router and itís displaying no IP, IP subnet etc. The modem status appears as disconnected or negotiating. It also doesnít show anything in the statistics window, no noise margin etc.
      Under connection status, connecting to server says disconnect and negotiation sometimes says LCP allowed to come up.

I've phoned Sky twice and am waiting for a call back from someone. Anyone experienced anything similar?
      Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Keep losing internet connection

When your connection is up, take and post your stats from the faceplate and from your Test socket. Link below.

You symptoms are those experienced when a long line is switched to ADSL2+ and it is unable to support it, but it may also be a failing router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Here's the stats from the test socket:
      Connection Speed 2880 kbps 128 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 16.6 db 6.0 db

From the faceplate:
      Connection Speed 2880 kbps 128 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 12.9 db 7.0 db

It seems to be a bit more stable now, but my connection speed has dropped. It was connecting at over 4mb, now I'm lucky if I get 2mb.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The increased noise margin in your Test socket indicates that you internal wiring is pulling your speed down. Buy, fit and use a filtered faceplate and this will go a long way to a speed increase, possibly 4Mb+. In the mean time, try changing the filter you are using. The low upstream noise margin can sometimes be caused by a dodgy filter, I would guess that this is the reason your connection is dropping, you will probably find that when it drops your upstream margin is 2147483647.
      XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ok, thanks for the help