Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ridiculously bad internet

This is a discussion on Ridiculously bad internet within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well, for months now I've been having problems with the broadband but its just getting ridiculous now and I'm very ...

greengiant302 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 07896-866852
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ridiculously bad internet

Well, for months now I've been having problems with the broadband but its just getting ridiculous now and I'm very unhappy with this service. I spend most nights on my PC, xbox or PS3 gaming or just surfing the web, I'm supposed to get 8mb speed but this is what I have.

I can't even watch youtube, it doesn't load any of the video at all. If I need to download something I'm lucky to reach 20kb/s. Even just loading simple pages takes time. I've never had this problem before (other than a few years ago when we had absolutely no internet for a couple of months because of some problem that I don't remember).

Sometimes during the day the internet speed is a bit better so this is mainly a night problem... People have said to me 'they cap you at night' because more people are using it. So why doesn't my neighbor have the same problem...

Probably not long until I just pay for a new service, but my dad + brother both work for Sky (engineers) so I think we get it cheap but I would rather pay the whole price and get working internet.

Anyway know what could be wrong or need me to do any tests to get more info please just say anything that speeds this up even just a smidge would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Ridiculously bad internet

Can you please post your router stats - follow the link on the right of this page.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Are these the stats you wanted to see?

I just rebooted my router and it went a little bit faster (0.47mb/s)

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Looks like you're on the connect package, not max/unlimited. The connect package is traffic shaped at peak times (5pm-12am) and is illustrated by the poor throughput you're receiving. Do note you're paying for an up to 8mb service, as with your attenuation you'll never get near to 8mb. However, it would seem you could push out more sync speed.

We'll need more information, such as how many telephone sockets you use and whether you have a filter directly connected into each telephone socket. If you have sky tv connected to a telephone socket, ensure it's properly filtered and does not have a sky tv splitter before a filter. Also, if you're using any extension rj11 cables to the router, remove them for the sky supplied light grey dsl cable. Finally, if those stats are from an extension socket, then plug into your master socket and re-take the stats and post them. After doing that and if no real changes are seen (i.e. no change in downstream speed or noise margin figures - the higher the better), then plug into your test socket.

My reply is rather generic, but I gotta rush to go out. Later!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Looks like you're on the connect package, not max/unlimited. The connect package is traffic shaped at peak times (5pm-12am) and is illustrated by the poor throughput you're receiving. Do note you're paying for an up to 8mb service, as with your attenuation you'll never get near to 8mb. However, it would seem you could push out more sync speed.

We'll need more information, such as how many telephone sockets you use and whether you have a filter directly connected into each telephone socket. If you have sky tv connected to a telephone socket, ensure it's properly filtered and does not have a sky tv splitter before a filter. Also, if you're using any extension rj11 cables to the router, remove them for the sky supplied light grey dsl cable. Finally, if those stats are from an extension socket, then plug into your master socket and re-take the stats and post them. After doing that and if no real changes are seen (i.e. no change in downstream speed or noise margin figures - the higher the better), then plug into your test socket.

My reply is rather generic, but I gotta rush to go out. Later!
      Ok thank you so much, ill try the test socket as its in the master socket at the moment.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As has been said you are on Sky Connect - I too am on Connect, I live very near our exchange and get good speeds (up to 7 mbps) during daytime. However, my evening speeds between 5pm and Midnight are quite appalling at times. The email response below from Sky is a result of me trying to get this issue resolved over the last six months - email number 14

Thank you for your email. I am sorry that your speeds in the evening are not as good as they are outside of the time period of 5pm to midnight.
      I asked our technical team to speak to you to discuss the downloading that you do to see if there was any other reason why your speed would be slow during the peak time.
      I would be unable to lift the restrictions on the Connect package to allow your broadband speed to be increased between 5pm and midnight as this is part of our traffic management policy. I am sorry that this is not the response that you are looking for. I have checked to see if I could get you changed over to Sky Broadband Base, Everyday or Unlimited but this is not available in your exchange.
      I hope this helps with your enquiry.
      err well no it doesn't help actually Sky! The manner in which this company treats their customers really is disgraceful.

narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
      As has been said you are on Sky Connect - I too am on Connect, I live very near our exchange and get good speeds (up to 7 mbps) during daytime. However, my evening speeds between 5pm and Midnight are quite appalling at times. The email response below from Sky is a result of me trying to get this issue resolved over the last six months - email number 14

err well no it doesn't help actually Sky! The manner in which this company treats their customers really is disgraceful.

If you dont like it cancel and go else were