Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I keep losing connection and it it getting b***** annoying

This is a discussion on I keep losing connection and it it getting b***** annoying within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I used to have no problems at all with me connection but since Friday I have been losing connection so ...

Misplaced is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry I keep losing connection and it it getting b***** annoying

I used to have no problems at all with me connection but since Friday I have been losing connection so often i am thinking about changing ISP as this is truly bad.

I have tried different channels.

I have tried a software update.

I have not changed anything else. All wires are connected securely in my phone socket. I always connect wirelessly and have never had any problems until Friday just gone.

Anyone any ideas, please - I am getting desperate

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: I keep losing connection and it it getting b***** annoying

Need to know a bit more about the issue, buddy. Post up your router stats and how everything's connected to all your telephone sockets.

Is your internet light dropping out, flashing amber and attempting to re-sync? Or is it just the wireless dropping on wireless devices?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have not changed anything else. All wires are connected securely in my phone socket. I always connect wirelessly and have never had any problems until Friday just gone
      Just because you have changed nothing, does not mean no one has. Unfortunately more and more are being sucked into using Wireless, this means there is more and more interference. Download Inssider from the link below, it will show you all the wireless networks in your neighbourhood and the channels they are using. Choose a channel in your router as far from those in use as possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Misplaced is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Need to know a bit more about the issue, buddy. Post up your router stats and how everything's connected to all your telephone sockets.

Is your internet light dropping out, flashing amber and attempting to re-sync? Or is it just the wireless dropping on wireless devices?
      Not too sure how to post stats. My router is connected to the master socket (I think) I have a very old system in the house

Yes, I do get the amber light dropping out and flashing trying to re-sync. My laptop always indicates an excellent signal.

Just because you have changed nothing, does not mean no one has. Unfortunately more and more are being sucked into using Wireless, this means there is more and more interference. Download Inssider from the link below, it will show you all the wireless networks in your neighbourhood and the channels they are using. Choose a channel in your router as far from those in use as possible.
      I have downloaded as suggested and found 2 on channel 11 and 3 on channel 6.Therefore, moved to channel 1.

Any other ideas?

cheers

Mis

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

If the router is losing sync with the exchange then it is going to be either a fault with your internal wiring (which you say is old) or the main BT line.

The first thing you need to do is to post your router stats and read some of the threads on telephone wiring, it sounds like this is where your problem is.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Not too sure how to post stats. My router is connected to the master socket (I think) I have a very old system in the house
      Look to the left, scroll up and you will see the Quick Links box. At the bottom of this you will find links to checking your Master socket and getting your stats. Copy and paste the stats to the post. It is better if you take them from your normal position and from the Test socket for comparison.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misplaced View Post
      Yes, I do get the amber light dropping out and flashing trying to re-sync. My laptop always indicates an excellent signal.
      Ok, well you're losing sync then. 99% of the time it's to do with your set-up in the house.

1. How many telephone sockets do you have in the house in use?

2. Ensure to each of the telephone sockets in use in the house have a microfilter connected (white boxes that sky sent out with 'modem' and 'phone' ports).

3. If you have any sky tv splitters connected to the set-up (these will be blank white two way splitter boxes) then ensure that it is AFTER the filter on the phone port.

4. Do you have any noise on your landline telephone whilst in use, such as crackles/pops/static etc.?

5. The 'adsl' cable that runs from the router to the filter should be a short light grey cable that sky supplied. If it is an extension cable, then change it for the sky supplied dsl cable.

5. You'll need to be definite that you're plugged into the master socket. Have a check around the telephone sockets for one that has a BT or Openreach logo in the top left hand corner. It should also have a horizontal split across the middle and the screws in the bottom half. If so, that's your master socket (typically, but not always of course, found in your hallway or living room). If you don't have that, then check where the line comes into the house and that'll be the master.

Post your stats once you've confirmed all of those (Isitme's post shows you how to get the stats we're looking for) and also fire away if any questions regarding the above.
      Last edited by User05; 02-12-09 at 01:08 AM.