Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband Activation Problems

This is a discussion on Broadband Activation Problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just wondering if anyone else has had this, and what the solution was, so that I can suggest it to ...

Millz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hetton Le Hole
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Broadband Activation Problems

Just wondering if anyone else has had this, and what the solution was, so that I can suggest it to Sky to hurry up the proccess.

I've just moved house, out of my parents into my new home. I had sky broadband at my parents which worked brilliant, so decided to move it over. Cutting a long story short, I finally got my activation date of Wed 25th Nov - heard nothing. Thursday (26th) we got a call saying the line was active and all should be working. Plugged the router in - internet light flashes amber, goes for a bit (~30 seconds) then flashes amber again for a bit, and repeats.. Never goes solid or goes green. Phoned Sky - said to wait until midnight and if it still wasnt working phone back the next day.

Before anyone suggests the obvious of the BT test socket and unplugging everything else in the house etc etc - i've tried.

Phoned up again this morning (27th) and they agreed that there was a problem and they'd escalate it, but this could take another couple of days. They tried running all of the usual tests down the line (TOAD test - the "can you hear this beep" etc - yes - all works).

I need my connection for work, so I can't just keep waiting 'another couple of days', as it's costing me an absolute fortune.

Something else worth noting, is when I take my router back to my parents house - it works no problem, even though it was cancelled nearly 2 months back?

So - has anyone else had this problem aswell? What solved it in the end?

*edit*

Seems from reading around the site, an option would be to ask them to switch me from ADSL2 to ADSL - how long would it take them to do this to test?
      Last edited by Millz; 27-11-09 at 04:15 PM.

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Broadband Activation Problems

It sounds like they may have reactivated the account at you old house. Get them to confirm exactly which number they have activated your broadband on.

No point whinging about not being able to work from home and losing money, it's quite clear in Sky's T&Cs that their broadband products are for domestic use only.

Millz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hetton Le Hole
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      It sounds like they may have reactivated the account at you old house. Get them to confirm exactly which number they have activated your broadband on.

No point whinging about not being able to work from home and losing money, it's quite clear in Sky's T&Cs that their broadband products are for domestic use only.
      It's the new number they've activated. Got an automated BT text call to my new house phone saying the line has been activated etc.

The connection never dropped at my old house, and is still working now - if it had gone off then started working again it would have made sense - but it hasn't.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Seems from reading around the site, an option would be to ask them to switch me from ADSL2 to ADSL
      Unless you are a very very long way from the exchange this is unlikely to be the problem. You would be able to connect, even if it were at a very low, possibly unstable speed. Did you take Sky Phone Rental with your package? If so that could be the problem. There are numerous reports of members who have been put on their new SVBN having all sorts of problems. All you can do is wait for Sky to fix the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.