Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

illlegal on goings? Affect my speed?!

This is a discussion on illlegal on goings? Affect my speed?! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have been with Sky package for a few months now, I have their TV, Phone Line, Broadband Max ...

WazMeister is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

illlegal on goings? Affect my speed?!

Hi,

I have been with Sky package for a few months now, I have their TV, Phone Line, Broadband Max etc.

Since I moved in my current address (about 2 months) I have had a good constant speeds of 6 to 7mb.

My router details tell me my max is 7mb, this is fine and I have been getting 7mb speeds.
      Browsing sites has been fine, gaming on the xbox Live has been ace! And downloads have been sure fire!

Until recently, my service has been so poor that I'm on the verge of closing my entire package with Sky, because the service over time has been poor (not just inc BB).

I am here hoping someone else with some guidence can help, after many many calls to Sky all I'm told is "hmm I'm not sure, someone in your area could be doing something illegal which is slowing your net down".

My first phone call, the kidn man just read off his screen some rules to do, inc rebooting router, my PC and few other things.

He asked me to check my netstat in cmd prompt and it showed up with lots results. He told me this is why my internet is slowing down..... so he told me to format.
      Even though my work laptop is affected, my wife PC and mine.. it's my side of a error because he done a test and it showed 7mb speeds...

So against my will, I formatted.. lost a few bits but I just wanted my net working normal the way it has the past few months.
      So i format and still get the same problem! With netstat only have 2 connections the router...
      My problem?

Since last Sunday my speed has gone from 7mb to under 0.60kb, it's taking longer than a 1997 56k modem to load sites! and at times just don't load them!
      Gamimng on xbox live is just.. well not even worth trying.
      Funny thing is, when I wake up for work at 5am and check it, it reports 6 to 7mb...
      When I get home about 3pm, it tests at 7mb again.
      I am soooo excitd it's workign the way it has for 2 months!!! Then about 4:30pm, like clock work each day, BANG!
      THe speeds drops to about 0.60kb or less................

I rang again and the first operater could not help after trying exactly same as the first the few days before.
      He passed me through to 1st support, I explained my problem and they were baffled.
      THey tried to explain it could be peak times, now this I understand net goes a bit slower when everyone is on.. but jeez I am sorry, at peak your net don't go from 7mb to about 0.48kb!
      My brothers on Virgen 2mb net, at peak he randomly gets 3mb!?!?!

After they realised they could not help me, they changed myrouter speds to 4mb and said bye.
      Now its set to 4mb, when 7mb was fine for 2 months.. and I randomly now get this problem out of nowhere and htye make me slower in the hope it is more stable.

Well the problem consists?!

I've tried new filters, new router wires and they are sending me a new router, which I know wont fix it.
      I know the net is fine somewhere along the line, getting 7mb now.. 7:41am! I get home and it be less than 0.60kb and struggle to load sites.

Please help me, before i convert to the dreaded Virgin

Thanks!

Router details-
      Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 8003 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 944 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

2. Advertisement
      joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Re: illlegal on goings? Affect my speed?!

You need to post the correct stats from your router that look like these

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12862 kbps 765 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 15.7 db
      Noise Margin 5.4 db 11.5 db

How to get your router stats

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you are connected by wireless, try a wire.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you using wireless? Is it secured with a strong password? If you slow down this evening go into the routers setup and check in the Attached Devices section that all the devices listed are yours. In fact try turning the wireless off and see if there is an improvement in your wired speed.

Sky's Netstat fob off is a joke. Someone really needs to tell them that they are talking nonsense and causing unnecessary inconvenience to users by insisting that they format if they have more than about 10 connections. They are parroting out stuff that may have been relevant in dial up days, but is rubbish as far as broadband is concerned.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I am wired, I turned off Wireless and it still had same effect.

I tried test socket, I am in master socket etc.

Still no fixes, so confused how it can be fine, then go so bad around same time?!?!?1

Thanks

It could be you are suffering from bad REIN interference. ::. Kitz - REIN .::

Try downloading and running routerstatslite from Internet Software This will show if there is any interference causing your noise margin to drop.

If you have the GT router you could also take your stats every hour over the bad period. This will show if severe errors on your line is causing you connection to slow down. Re-sync your router by powering it off for a minute then switching it on again. This will clear any errors you have showing at the moment and allow a clean start. The Detailed stats can be got by going to - Mel's Notes: Dg834gt-1skuk and pressing the button.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Does this help-

Router stats-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8003 kbps 944 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40 db 22 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 8 db

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It could be you are suffering from bad REIN interference. ::. Kitz - REIN .::

Try downloading and running routerstatslite from Internet Software This will show if there is any interference causing your noise margin to drop.

If you have the GT router you could also take your stats every hour over the bad period. This will show if severe errors on your line is causing you connection to slow down. Re-sync your router by powering it off for a minute then switching it on again. This will clear any errors you have showing at the moment and allow a clean start. The Detailed stats can be got by going to - Mel's Notes: Dg834gt-1skuk and pressing the button.

Thanks for tips

I have got that Graph Software up and running, what should I be doing with it?

Or looking out for ?

I can't see it being interfrence as I have everything the same as I would any time, and I get 6 to 7mb fine, just seems to be around the same time.

Thanks

That shows you are syncing a bit low for your attenuation, you should be up around 9 - 11Mb, but that is not your immediate problem. Can you do as I suggested in my last post?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Oh, on a side note. Its only started to happen the past 2 weeks or less....

I have changed nothing, so not sure why its playing up now.. very fruistarting. I'm getting beyond fed up.

Sick of Ringing sky, they really do not have a clue and just waste my time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast