Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New user with bb question

This is a discussion on New user with bb question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello hello !! Thank you for your welcome msg newsreader. Thought I'd post here prior to calling sky as I ...

nawvernmonkee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYPUD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy New user with bb question

Hello hello !!

Thank you for your welcome msg newsreader. Thought I'd post here prior to calling sky as I won't get the chance for a while.

Just got a bundled package which includes sky base (don't think my line will give me any more - 2miles from exch direct, 3.5 by road).

Given sky the 10 days and one week later it is still very painful to use. Done a bit of research so wondered what people thought of this. My downstream is less than half the speed of my upstream ??

Stats as follows..

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 160 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 4 db 8 db

This can't be normal ??
      All the cabling and extension issues have been dealt with. Any thoughts anybody,

All the best

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New user with bb question

Sure doesn't look like the base package - upload on the base package profile is 416kbps. You have sky LLU at your exchange, but I think first it'd be in your interests to contact sky and definitely confirm you're on the base package as it looks like sky connect package (re-branded BT product which is traffic shaped during peak hours).

Regarding the stats, you are correct that it seems you have a long line. However, your stats are dire even for a long line.

- Make sure every telephone socket in use in the house has a filter connected directly into the tel socket.
      - If you have the sky tv plugged in, it more than likely has a blank white splitter somewhere in the set-up. Ensure this is AFTER the microfilter if you really do need to use it.
      - Ensure the adsl cable that runs to the router from the MF is a short light grey sky supplied cable with no extension cables in use.

If all of the above looks spot on to your set-up, then check if there is any audible noise on your landline. If all's well there, then plug into your test socket and re-take the stats. (Test socket link on the left hand side 'quick-link' bar).

Thanks

Hey 05,

Thanks foe taking the time. I will definitely be calling them soon yes.

I had done all you suggested, and had to move the router in doing so, by now then I will have been 'up' for about 12 hours. Those stats were last night at around 8-9pm, this morning, 08.30, the downstream noise margin has increased to 8 or 9db but nothing else has changed. I guess that will remain there till teatime.

Don't really have a 'master socket' as such, it's an old style straight in type socket with an installed extension hanging off the back of that. The router connects direct to that via an ADSL filter, and the ext doesn't have the ring wire connected. The sky box plugs into the ext socket downstairs.

Now I have done all the internal checks and removed all the internal cable extensions (not the installed one the skybox is on) should I be waiting for a few days for the exch to sort itself out or should I just call them when I can ? (and have an hour or two to spare, lol)

Used to have BT (up to 8) which was also pretty bad but still twice as good as this (although I wasn't familiar with line stats till I swapped over). It was ok for surfing but kept dropping out briefly (prior to removing cable extensions that is).

Anyway thanks again, any further thoughts are welcome.

All the best

NM

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nawvernmonkee View Post
      Hey 05,

Thanks foe taking the time. I will definitely be calling them soon yes.

I had done all you suggested, and had to move the router in doing so, by now then I will have been 'up' for about 12 hours. Those stats were last night at around 8-9pm, this morning, 08.30, the downstream noise margin has increased to 8 or 9db but nothing else has changed. I guess that will remain there till teatime.

Don't really have a 'master socket' as such, it's an old style straight in type socket with an installed extension hanging off the back of that. The router connects direct to that via an ADSL filter, and the ext doesn't have the ring wire connected. The sky box plugs into the ext socket downstairs.

Now I have done all the internal checks and removed all the internal cable extensions (not the installed one the skybox is on) should I be waiting for a few days for the exch to sort itself out or should I just call them when I can ? (and have an hour or two to spare, lol)

Used to have BT (up to 8) which was also pretty bad but still twice as good as this (although I wasn't familiar with line stats till I swapped over). It was ok for surfing but kept dropping out briefly (prior to removing cable extensions that is).

Anyway thanks again, any further thoughts are welcome.

All the best

NM
      If you don't have a NTE5 master socket, then the best you can do is the following buddy:

- Remove every device from the telephone set-up in the house and only have connected to the master socket a microfilter with the adsl cable that sky gave you connected to it. Try out the stats and check if any change to the downstream or noise margin. If not, then try swapping over for another microfilter. If again no change, then keep the set-up with simply only the master in use with the router and phone and call up sky (08442 410515).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Make sure the Sky digibox is unplugged, this can cause more problems than everything else put together. When you plug it back in make sure it is running through a filter. The box sometimes supplied by TV fitters is not a filter, it is purely a line splitter.

If you are on the free Base package you are very unlikely to have been put on Connect. It is more likely you are on ADSL2+ and your line cannot handle it. When you call Sky ask them to put you on ADSL1 or G.dmt.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Once again many thanks,

I shall unplug the sky hd box so that it is just broadband to see if there is a difference. I am led to believe that any difference will not be instant and may also depend upon re initialising the DML (a little knowledge is dangerous isn't it).

Anyhow I shall give it a go and will be ringing sky very soon.

Thanks again.

NM

Thanks

Your all genius's, genii ?? Whatever

New stats read

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1056 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 5 db 8 db

So now might consider upgrading to 8Mb as they 'appear' to be billing me for it. In your considered opinion, with me being so far away from the exch, do you thing I would see any reasonable improvement in speed ?

Thanks again all

NM

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

You will see no improvement in speed, you are already pushing it now.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unless his base profile has been messed up somehow, if he was on adsltwo+, his upstream would usually sit at 412kbps.

Monkee, if you could post the stats with just a new filter plugged directly into the master socket with the sky supplied adsl cable and no devices plugged into any other telephone sockets. If your noise margin is still low (sub 7) then something is wrong somewhere or you really are on a long line and that's as much as you're gonna see (re-sync the router and the SNR should jump up and your downstream go down a bit, but browsing should be quicker).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think he is on Base where the maximum upload is 606 but his line is just not capable, but I could be wrong. If he is on Connect he will be able to check by going to the Broadband section of his MySky page or trying the BT speedtest on this thread - (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast