Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New user with bb question

This is a discussion on New user with bb question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by User05 Unless his base profile has been messed up somehow, if he was on adsltwo+, his upstream ...

nawvernmonkee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYPUD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: New user with bb question

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Unless his base profile has been messed up somehow, if he was on adsltwo+, his upstream would usually sit at 412kbps.

Monkee, if you could post the stats with just a new filter plugged directly into the master socket with the sky supplied adsl cable and no devices plugged into any other telephone sockets. If your noise margin is still low (sub 7) then something is wrong somewhere or you really are on a long line and that's as much as you're gonna see (re-sync the router and the SNR should jump up and your downstream go down a bit, but browsing should be quicker).

Mmm Yes, another prophecy fulfilled..

Stats with nowt plugged in read as follows, with marginal increase in browsing speed, which is nice.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 992 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 8 db

It would seem that whoever installed the phone line (in 1704 or something - prior to master sockets) has essentially split the line at the inbox to provide an extension. Therefore my filter will be after the line split and so a little re-engineering of the domestic portion of my phone line may need to be done this weekend.

This will leave me with the incoming direct to the micro filter with BB off the data hole and the phone and sky box off the phone hole. That, I reckon, is the best I'm going to be able to do, unless there are any other suggestions. (nb audio engineer so will be able to carry out most things without breaking stuff).

Actually did just check mysky like you guys said and, annoyingly, I do seem to be on bb connect, even though I asked for sky base (and phone line rental, not done yet, and TV) I'll get straight onto that this weekend and report back to me new chums,....

ongoing thanks..

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nawvernmonkee View Post
      Mmm Yes, another prophecy fulfilled..

Stats with nowt plugged in read as follows, with marginal increase in browsing speed, which is nice.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 992 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 8 db

It would seem that whoever installed the phone line (in 1704 or something - prior to master sockets) has essentially split the line at the inbox to provide an extension. Therefore my filter will be after the line split and so a little re-engineering of the domestic portion of my phone line may need to be done this weekend.

This will leave me with the incoming direct to the micro filter with BB off the data hole and the phone and sky box off the phone hole. That, I reckon, is the best I'm going to be able to do, unless there are any other suggestions. (nb audio engineer so will be able to carry out most things without breaking stuff).

Actually did just check mysky like you guys said and, annoyingly, I do seem to be on bb connect, even though I asked for sky base (and phone line rental, not done yet, and TV) I'll get straight onto that this weekend and report back to me new chums,....

ongoing thanks..
      I'll let someone else who is a bit better on the faceplate/wiring side of things chime in with some advice there.

Regarding the connect package - you really want to call up sky and get moved to an onnet LLU package such as base. Unless there are no ports available at your exchange, you should be eligible for it at your exchange. Also give the moron a slap who sold you the connect package in the first place whilst you're at it. (Of course, again assuming that there are ports available!)

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

He would be on connect, if he is on base and his upstream is config to 608 then his upstream has room for improvement, could get 512 out of that..

Thanks

Nevermind my previous post lol I just re-read all the posts to see is actually on connect.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

How much are they charging you? It is absolutely shocking that Sky should accept your order for Base and then put you on Connect with no warning. If they cannot guarantee you a move to LLU very soon, I would cancel and go to O2 if they are available with LLU on your exchange.

With regards your wiring, I would disconnect the extension wired into your junction box and try the stats. I think you will see an improvement. If your wiring is twisted pair multi core it will not be too difficult to reconnect it properly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krysis View Post
      He would be on connect, if he is on base and his upstream is config to 608 then his upstream has room for improvement, could get 512 out of that..
      Based upstream is 416kbps...Mid is 608kbps, Max 1312kbps...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Based upstream is 416kbps...Mid is 608kbps, Max 1312kbps...
      ... I know... I work for sky...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12