Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DLM what a Joke!

This is a discussion on DLM what a Joke! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Well I had trouble with me router for nearly 2months now the problem is the router will not reconnect ...

chronic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

DLM what a Joke!

Hi,
      Well I had trouble with me router for nearly 2months now the problem is the router will not reconnect but takes about 2-4Hours to connect after a reset, yesterday it would not connect again so I phoned up Sky told them about the problems I had and this had been going on for ages he checked me account and passed me on to Broadband Support team.

I then explained to the person what had been going on with the router they then say it seems to be a DLM (Digital Line Management) issue for some reason the DLM is killing the connection and when it does decide to reconnect the connection is very low speed. So she turns the DLM off and bingo connects after a reset, I ask what is going on with DLM and what it does she explains to me that DLM drops you connection speed if it detects a error on the line but what was happing with me was if it detected an error and I rebooted the router later when the connection was poor it killed the line all together..

I can't see the point in DLM meself but there must be some mad reason for it god knows what it is ???

2. Advertisement
      samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: DLM what a Joke!

Post some stats and ill try and help you

DLM stands for Dynamic line management BTW

Happy Sky Customer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

In my opinion Sky seem to be using this DLM as a means to cut peoples speed

mine has gone down from over 13mb to slightly under 10mb

not a dramatic reduction I know and I'm sure most people would be happy with that speed but compared to 3 weeks ago it's been reduced by 25%

if sky want to cut peoples speed they should come out and say so not hide behind this DLM smokescreen

from what I see this has had a negative impact on most people but I suppose the bandwitch sky are saving by claiming to make their customers lines more stable (AHEM) and definitely slower could mean sky could sign up a few more people

Rant Over

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

That is not the case, most people will see either an improvement in speeds under the new package limits including the upload speed increase.

DLM is set so that it can get the best stable speed for a line remember, very few things improve with age and your line and setup isn't one of them.

The main thing to look for is to check your router stats and see if the noise margin is within a couple of db to Skys defaul of 7db, if it is then your setup is getting around the maximum it can.

FYI, I received a speed increase following Sky running DLM on my line a couple of months ago.

Happy Sky Customer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

These are my stats I think

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10239 kbps 960 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 db 16.6 db
      Noise Margin 8.3 db 8.5 db

Can someone tell me if this is the max I can now expect from sky or is their room forr improvement

seem to have trouble displaying the stats properly but hope someone can understand

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Can you post the stats from your Test socket, link below.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chronic View Post
      Hi,
      Well I had trouble with me router for nearly 2months now the problem is the router will not reconnect but takes about 2-4Hours to connect after a reset, yesterday it would not connect again so I phoned up Sky told them about the problems I had and this had been going on for ages he checked me account and passed me on to Broadband Support team.

I then explained to the person what had been going on with the router they then say it seems to be a DLM (Digital Line Management) issue for some reason the DLM is killing the connection and when it does decide to reconnect the connection is very low speed. So she turns the DLM off and bingo connects after a reset, I ask what is going on with DLM and what it does she explains to me that DLM drops you connection speed if it detects a error on the line but what was happing with me was if it detected an error and I rebooted the router later when the connection was poor it killed the line all together..

I can't see the point in DLM meself but there must be some mad reason for it god knows what it is ???

Have you even bothered to phone SKY Tech support up and tell them I DONT WANT TO BE ON DLM TAKE MY LINE OUT OF IT! You can do this, as it is your line and you are paying the money.

stevvi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by narl View Post
      Have you even bothered to phone SKY Tech support up and tell them I DONT WANT TO BE ON DLM TAKE MY LINE OUT OF IT! You can do this, as it is your line and you are paying the money.
      You can actually get Sky to set your line to sync at up to 20Mb down/1.3Mb up with target SNRs of 7db and let the router decide on the max speed depending on line quality. It took a few emails back and forth but this is how my connection is now set up.

narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevvi View Post
      You can actually get Sky to set your line to sync at up to 20Mb down/1.3Mb up with target SNRs of 7db and let the router decide on the max speed depending on line quality. It took a few emails back and forth but this is how my connection is now set up.
      Don't email them, phone them up at least you will be talking to someone. Emails are a joke.