Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Usage meter on Sky

This is a discussion on Usage meter on Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by paul38 Guys thought i would post an update after measuring my usage as described by mcphailan above, ...

mcphailan is offline Senior Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Usage meter on Sky

Quote Originally Posted by paul38 View Post
      Guys thought i would post an update after measuring my usage as described by mcphailan above, the error seems to be on my part and not skys, measuring usage this way is almost identical to the rate of increase on the sky usage tool.

So it was actually me (and lack of tech knowledge), i compaired my usage this way to how i was previously doing it through mcafee traffic monitor and same significant difference as before, so obviously the mcafee traffic monitor is not an accurate way to measure usage.

Just didn't think i was using as much for normal browsing but i suppose it makes sense as websites are getting 'more fancy' (tech term!). I always thought that to us GBs worth i would have to be downloading movies / music etc which i don't - learn something new every day, feel slightly stupid giving sky a hard time but hey im sure they are used to it....

Cheers again
      paul

You see I'm almost as clever as the sky boys on here....

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Guys thought i would post an update after measuring my usage as described by mcphailan above, the error seems to be on my part and not skys, measuring usage this way is almost identical to the rate of increase on the sky usage tool.

So it was actually me (and lack of tech knowledge), i compaired my usage this way to how i was previously doing it through mcafee traffic monitor and same significant difference as before, so obviously the mcafee traffic monitor is not an accurate way to measure usage.

Just didn't think i was using as much for normal browsing but i suppose it makes sense as websites are getting 'more fancy' (tech term!). I always thought that to us GBs worth i would have to be downloading movies / music etc which i don't - learn something new every day, feel slightly stupid giving sky a hard time but hey im sure they are used to it....

Cheers again
      paul
      for ref, a footie match (90 mins) on SkyPlayer on medium quality uses around 4GB...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcphailan View Post
      thx, but wasn't there in early days.
      It depends what you mean by 'early days'. This post was made over 3 years ago and is based on the Sky Help Pages, which were updated when Sky switched to Google Mail.

Sky Email setup and settings

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

paul38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcphailan View Post
      You see I'm almost as clever as the sky boys on here....
      have to say in my case you 'were' more clever than the sky boys in the broadband technical dept........i can still hear them repeating the sky usage tool web address over and over....................

cheers again
      paul

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

have to say in my case you 'were' more clever than the sky boys in the broadband technical dept........i can still hear them repeating the sky usage tool web address over and over....................
      not all agents in the sky technical department are robots, most unfortunately are

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      not all agents in the sky technical department are robots, most unfortunately are
      yeah fully agree, its the same with any company, it simply depends who you get when you call you can be either lucky or unlucky if you get someone who is helpful and knowledgable you will come away happy. Unfortunalty it is this point of contact that shapes peoples perception of the service provided.

Ive only contacted the technical dept once before and to be honest the service was fantastic, they knew exactly what my problem was and talked me through it step by step - it even seemed to be a local branch i was put through to.

Misfit - looking at your tags your close by - i should have given you a shout......hehe only joking

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

yeah fully agree, its the same with any company, it simply depends who you get when you call you can be either lucky or unlucky if you get someone who is helpful and knowledgable you will come away happy. Unfortunalty it is this point of contact that shapes peoples perception of the service provided.

Ive only contacted the technical dept once before and to be honest the service was fantastic, they knew exactly what my problem was and talked me through it step by step - it even seemed to be a local branch i was put through to.

Misfit - looking at your tags your close by - i should have given you a shout......hehe only joking

heehee by local branch i assume you mean northern ireland?? there is a sky broadband technical dpt based in belfast

mcphailan is offline Senior Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

cheers again
      paul
      How's your usage now Paul?...cut out those "special interest" high-definition online movies? (I find they use a byte or trillion)....

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi mcphalan,

I reckon my usage limits will be shot this month, a few days off work and an addiction to online PS3 MW2 has taken care of my allowance - the user tool is down at the minute but reckon its about 3.5GB out of a 10GB allowance, and im only just over a week into the period - dont even need those 'special' movies to eat it up...

Ive stopped worrying about it the same now as im happy enough that the sky usage figures are accurate after compairing it against your method and they are not wipping my eye.

Although probably will have the "what happened to my 40GB allowance with the mid package i signed upto" conversation after they will no doubt automatically move me to the unlimited package. The first i realised it had changed was after they notified me by email that i had exceeded the 'new' 10 GB allowance - never got any letters or emails advising me of the change.

Ill fight them over it and possibly move everything (phone, TV and broadband) to virgin who are offering a better deal at the minute (even inc a a HD V+ box) than the current 50 odd quid i pay sky a month exc phone and normal non HD tv. Shame really im happy with all aspects of the sky package except the way they have gone about this.

Misfit69 - yeah it must have been the belfast based technical department, im from belfast myself - always recognise a local accent.......

Cheers paul

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234