Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Usage meter on Sky

This is a discussion on Usage meter on Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yes agreed Laurie, doesn't look possible and you need to have a serious word with Sky broadband support ....keep us ...

mcphailan is offline Senior Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Usage meter on Sky

Yes agreed Laurie, doesn't look possible and you need to have a serious word with Sky broadband support ....keep us posted !

2. Advertisement
      paul38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD
      Thanks

Hi guys, found this thread and site while searching for info on the sky usage meter.

Firstly, hello to all and all i can say is i wish i had stubbled across this site earlier..

I seem to have similar expercences to others where my usage calculations are vastly lower than what the sky usage meter tool represents. I normally wouldn't be bothered but im aware sky use their meter to determine if you should be on the next level of broadband i.e. unlimited.

All i can start with is i have no idea if what i am doing to compaire my usage to skys stats is right or not.

My allowance period started on the 17th, so first thing on the 17th, i checked the usage recorded on sky - this was 0.4Gb, strange since computers etc were of while we were in bed. Since then i have been keeping a note of the total usage within mcafee security center traffic monitor i.e. total inbound and outbound - is this an accurate indication of my actual usage?

Since sunday (17th) sky usage monitor now indicates 0.75 Gb however my calculations using the above method are 0.18 Gb - significant difference given ive used the internet very little with only around 30 mins online gaming.

I am pretty confident theres no virus or anything similar on my computer, ive ran all the scans and it was only rebuilt 2 mths ago, likewise my conection is protected and really dont think anyone is using it.

I contacted sky today and after speaking to the general enqueries guy he put me through to the broadband technical advice dept, all i can say iswhat a waste of time.....the guy i was speaking to really didn't get the gist of what i was asking and kept telling me to check my usage on skys website and continually repeated the web address to me

Any help would be greatly appreachiated

Paul

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul38 View Post
      Hi guys, found this thread and site while searching for info on the sky usage meter.Any help would be greatly appreachiated

Paul
      Paul, the definitive method of checking inbound/outbound traffic is the network connection itself. For one day only, use only your main PC (no wireless connected laptops) and do this:-

1) Note sky usage amount
      2) Reboot machine to ensure network connection is started from scratch
      3) use internet as normal for a day
      4) at end of day, go to your network connection icon (bottom right-hand corner, click then "network and sharing centre", then find your internet connection and click "view status")
      5) Note down the amounts of the inbound and outbound traffic
      6) shutdown the machine, switch off the modem to be doubly sure
      7) The next morning, check what the sky usage says and compare figures

If vastly different, threaten to cancel with Sky broadband, should wake them up!
      Last edited by mcphailan; 21-01-10 at 08:13 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

many thanks for you reply, ill do just as you say and let you know the results. maybe im wrong but just wouldn't like to think we will be forced to upgrade our package based on their usage figures if they are not accurate.

They already increased broadband by 5 because i didn't take sky talk which may be better for us but just didnt like the 'we will charge more for your current services if you dont take the full package' attitude and not really happy with all eggs in one basket. But for me to be moved to the unlimited package for what i feel is a low user at 15 a month really isn't a good deal anymore given o2 are offering an unlimited package for 7.50 for existing o2 customers.

cheers again
      paul

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

many thanks for you reply, ill do just as you say and let you know the results. maybe im wrong but just wouldn't like to think we will be forced to upgrade our package based on their usage figures if they are not accuratel
      "How accurate is the usage monitoring?

The usage tool displays usage records gathered using the Sky Broadband unique user name and password your Sky router submits to authenticate into the Sky network. The records contain a count in raw data bits of upload and download traffic. Each record is tagged with other unique identifiers and then are collated into individual customer records. Sky only tracks your total usage and does not monitor the type of content."
      http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skyco...icleId=5778510

thats skys statement from their website, i dont know whether its just specific user's that are getting inaccurate results from this because my mum has sky broadband everyday and her usage results seems to be bang on where it should be.. if you phone sky all they will be able to tell you is how much bandwith its showing has been taken by your router(no more than you can see on the usage tool) and read that statement out to you

Thanks

many thanks for you reply, ill do just as you say and let you know the results. maybe im wrong but just wouldn't like to think we will be forced to upgrade our package based on their usage figures if they are not
      cheers again
      paul
      Please consider other possibilities such as plus.net first, don't give sky the pleasure of de-frauding you !! plus.net is 5.99 a month for 10Gig limit if you live in Greater London and certain other "low cost" broadband market areas.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As good as Plusnet is, it cannot compare to Sky's LLU packages as they are totally un-shaped with no traffic management.

15 for totally unlimited and unshaped broadband is still hard to beat!!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      As good as Plusnet is, it cannot compare to Sky's LLU packages as they are totally un-shaped with no traffic management.

15 for totally unlimited and unshaped broadband is still hard to beat!!!
      Cheers, im going to show my complete lack of technical knowledge - sure here goes anyway, what does this mean

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

LLU(local loop unbundling) means sky have their own equipment in the exchange so you arent stuck with a rebranded BT product like sky connect.

the sky packages base, everyday and unlimited dont have traffic shaping, the sky connect package however does and you would be slowed down to unbearable speeds during peak hours.

sky's LLU services are definately worth the money if you have skytalk and still good value if you dont(especially if you can get a good speed) but i have heard good things about 02 as well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      LLU(local loop unbundling) means sky have their own equipment in the exchange so you arent stuck with a rebranded BT product like sky connect.

the sky packages base, everyday and unlimited dont have traffic shaping, the sky connect package however does and you would be slowed down to unbearable speeds during peak hours.

sky's LLU services are definately worth the money if you have skytalk and still good value if you dont(especially if you can get a good speed) but i have heard good things about 02 as well
      That's brill linfo, thx. I had often wondered why SKY has given me one of the most consistent connection quality/speed that I've known in 15 years of surfing !!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast