Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Working from home on Sky broadband

This is a discussion on Working from home on Sky broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I will be starting a new job soon and, after the intial few weeks in the office, I will ...

smudge2002 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: denton
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Working from home on Sky broadband

Hi,

I will be starting a new job soon and, after the intial few weeks in the office, I will be working from home the majority of the time. Does anyone know if this causes a problem with being on Sky Broadband. I have worked from home on occasion in my current job and have been able to log in to work using Sonicwall VPN.

My other issue is that I have my line rental through Sky as well. If I need to change ISP is it just a case of signing back up to BT for line rental, then getting a MAC from Sky for the switch to another ISP? Does this cause any downtime?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Smudge.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Working from home on Sky broadband

It does say in the Sky T&C's no "business" use, but do not clarify what they classify as business use.

Considering I have seen plenty of eBay sellers registered as business sellers using sky email addresses and nothing seems to happen to them.

Anyways if you have line rental with them as well as broadband chances are you are now on Sky's dedicated voice and broadband network and that means to move away from them needs to to get a new line reprovisioned with BT and then re-order broadband with a new provider. Which all can take a few weeks to sort out.

Strangely enough though we are now on O2 LLU and although O2 say no business use they don't classify working from home as business use, although they won't support it or cover you for any losses made due to downtime but my wife on several occasions has happily worked from home.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

That's basically Sky's stance - you CAN use it for business BUT if things go down you can't kick off for loss of earnings/no being able to work at home...used to get pro Poker players kick off as they were losing money - was quite funny once you say 'it's not our fault as loss of earning aren't covered' and they shut up...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That's pretty much what I though. I'd seen the entry in the T&Cs but as Adrian points out, what do they class as business use?

Anyway, I think I'll be sticking with Sky broadband for the time being. I've been on it since their LLU was put in our exchange and have never had any problems with it and at 5 a month is cheaper than anything else out there.

On a side note, is there anyway of telling if i'm on Sky's dedicated network? If I am and want to take my line rental back to BT but keep the broadband with Sky is there any down-time on this? Would it be a case of BT re-enabling a line to me while Sky's is in place then switching it over seemlessly? Or does the Sky line have to be taken down before BT can enable theirs?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

If Sky are LLU'd then chances are there's also the SVBN present but sales should mention this at PoS - if not, ask...

The only real downside to the SVBN is the inability to move ISPs in the future so if you feel you might do this in the future then steer clear...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      If Sky are LLU'd then chances are there's also the SVBN present but sales should mention this at PoS - if not, ask...

The only real downside to the SVBN is the inability to move ISPs in the future so if you feel you might do this in the future then steer clear...
      Our exchange has had the Sky LLU in since 2006 but I believe that the switch to SVBN was being rolled out towards the end of the year so I was wondering if there was any way of telling online. As we're already on Sky BB and line rental I was hoping there'd be someway of telling if it had been done in our exchange yet. If not, I'll probably move the line rental back to BT before it's done so I don't have any problems in the future if I do need to change ISP.

I guess I could ring Sky's customer services but it would probably take a few phone calls before I found someone who knew what I was talking about.

The_Batman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 028
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smudge2002 View Post
      Our exchange has had the Sky LLU in since 2006 but I believe that the switch to SVBN was being rolled out towards the end of the year so I was wondering if there was any way of telling online. As we're already on Sky BB and line rental I was hoping there'd be someway of telling if it had been done in our exchange yet. If not, I'll probably move the line rental back to BT before it's done so I don't have any problems in the future if I do need to change ISP.

I guess I could ring Sky's customer services but it would probably take a few phone calls before I found someone who knew what I was talking about.
      Hi Smudge,

what we used to do was send out the customer new routers that had vpn installed on them. Ring tech support and ask for a manager as you would like to discuss using vpn on your router.

The standard setup is now is to send the update down your line(just like a firmware upgrade). This takes anywhere from 5-7 working days.This is for the tl to send it off to the correct department and the update to be sent to you

hope this was helpfull

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Ring tech support and ask for a manager as you would like to discuss using vpn on your router.
      Are you referring to Sky Broadband? If so, past experience has shown that mentioning VPN to Tier one is met either by total silence or the response that Sky don't support it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

The_Batman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 028
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Are you referring to Sky Broadband? If so, past experience has shown that mentioning VPN to Tier one is met either by total silence or the response that Sky don't support it.

We do now fully support vpn networks as i have had a briefing about it in work

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Router: Netgear D7800 (AC2600) Nighthawk
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post

IWasNotTheEnemy. Do you mean that If I chose to chance ISP now I couldn't? Reason I ask is.. with all the exchange work going on I think our exchange has just been switched over to SVBN, however we've been with SKY now for a few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast