Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Does having multiple phone lines affect my broadband

This is a discussion on Does having multiple phone lines affect my broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Morning all. I'm new to the forums and so i'm afraid i have a story for you all to read ...

Chrispyphillips is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenfig Hill
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Does having multiple phone lines affect my broadband

Morning all.

I'm new to the forums and so i'm afraid i have a story for you all to read and digest before hopefully offering help. This is merely a prelude to me posting my router stats, I'm not even ready to do that yet...

I live with a housemate, who pays for our entire Sky setup (HD, phone line and 'unlimited' package broadband) who isnt very tech minded. He's been living in the house for a few years and has never had a phone line or broadband before (he used a dongle)

After our 10 day bedding in period, I started noticing dreadful speeds on the broadband line when surfing, and even worse when trying to play xbox Live. So after stumbling upon these forums and reading page after page of information, I decided to do some tests of my own. I acquired a phone and tested all of the phone sockets in the house (3 downstairs, 3 upstairs) as we can only use one line for the broadband (a confusing matter in its own right) when I found out that the three phones upstairs, all have DIFFERENT numbers...

There is a master socket, and a 2 gang socket next to each other in one of the bedrooms, the master has one number, the left of the two sockets has another, and the right of the 2 has the main house (and Sky) number. I did a search on google for the numbers and it came back with the name (and our address) of the company that used to operate from the house, along with these 2 numbers. I contacted BT who told me that they could not cancel the lines as I do not have the account number, and the only details they had for these people is the numbers which are in my house!

So, my simple question at this juncture is, are these two additional phone lines in the house a possible contributing factor to the slow broadband speeds we are receiving?! I understand there would be a lot more to it than that, I have already disconnected the orange/white cable of the downstairs master, but wondered if this could be an issue?!

Also, whilst I'm on the subject, due to the Sky being in my housemates name, would it have to be him who contacts them to get a possible cap lifted and inform them that i need a better ping for playing online gaming?! Since he has no clue, I dont think I can trust him to call them. What details do they need so I can ask him for them and contact them myself?

In the meantime, I'm looking to get these additional phone lines removed (or we make some very, very long distance phone calls!! ) and the possibility of homeplugs/filtered faceplates, but for now I just want to make sure the existing set up is capable of getting decent speeds. The last time I did a speed check (before removing the orange/white cable) we were getting only 700kbps download speeds, and our exchange should be providing us with around 4Mbps according to the speed checker websites!

I will post my stats when I am able to (in work atm) but wondered if anyone had any experience of this multiple phone line phenomenon I am experiencing first!

Sorry for the lengthy post, I feel my situation warrants a bit of a background story! I appreciate any help people are able to offer, this seems a really knowledgable place and I am in desparate need of some knowledge!!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Does having multiple phone lines affect my broadband

If they have a different number than chances are they are seperate physical lines and as such should have no bearing on the BB line at all...stats are the next thing please...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Chrispyphillips is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenfig Hill
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Does having multiple phone lines affect my broadband

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      If they have a different number than chances are they are seperate physical lines and as such should have no bearing on the BB line at all...stats are the next thing please...
      Wicked, pretty much what i was hoping for thank you!! Anyone need to use my house to call America?!

Oh, the stats are coming, they are coming...

Thanks IWasNotTheEnemy!!