Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

whats happened to my service?

This is a discussion on whats happened to my service? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ok, about 6 days ago our broadband ( im on unlimited) and phone (also with sky) dropped service, the phone ...

peevedoffatsky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01634
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

whats happened to my service?

ok, about 6 days ago our broadband ( im on unlimited) and phone (also with sky) dropped service, the phone wouldnt even dial 999 (yeah i did try) it just made some painfully high pitched tones. 7 hours later (10 pm) our services came back up and the net was at 2.5mbs (normally 3.5 (apparently fastest my line will habdle, 1.7km from exchange and im paying for the 16mb one because i need uncapped service)), However, every so often my net would D/C and reconnect, dropping me from whatever i was doing at the time (mostly playing World of Warcraft, lol).
      Biggest problem now though is for the last 3 nights, as of around 4 pm, my connection gradually slows, and by 7pm, its running at around 14kbs-80kbs and even refusing to load anything at all at times, this doesnt speed up until between 10 and 11 pm where it gradually gets back up to a 2.5mb speed.
      Ive spoken to the sky techies, done all their tests and that, they have told me that from their end it shows im going at 3mbs still even during my "slow time", and from my end in the router statistics, it shows im connecting to my local exchange at 3072kbs, which sounds about right...
      So.. that leads me to the question.. wheres the fault? they show its fine, my router shows its fine. ive even tested another pc on the line and it was as slow during the mentioned hours. id blame the router if it wasn't this slow during specific peak hours. i shouldnt be getting capped, its BB max/unlimited im on AND i dont download huge files.
      i live in the Chatham area in kent, can anyone shed some light on this, or is anyone else having a similar problem? making me miserable as theyve said i may be waiting till Monday!!! before they finish some tests on the line and contact me, until then im supposed to just accept this? now i regret paying my bloody bill last week, they suck.

time of posting , still slow as heck, timed out 1st attempt to post
      Last edited by peevedoffatsky; 19-11-09 at 11:04 PM. Reason: on a side note

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: whats happened to my service?

Are you sure you're on unlimited? Post your router stats for confirmation. (Link on the left hand side).

If the link below is your exchange, then you do not have any LLU available at your exchange i.e. you will be on connect.

SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Chatham Dock (NDCDO) Exchange

Thanks

i enquired about that and yes it is LLU, and i am on unlimited. also no, i think its Bluebell hill exchange. ill have to confirm that

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3072 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 64.0 db 36.9 db
      Noise Margin 7.5 db 7.3 db

there are properties about 30 metres away from me, literally over the road and round a corner, on 17mbs with same sky package.

but as i say.. i was even ok with the 3mbs for now, and it was great up till a few nights ago, i dropped BT in feb to join sky for their tv , phone and net, as BT was the worst customer service i have ever seen (honestly, not one of them spoke decent english). I dont get it why all of a sudden im being SO adversely affected at peak times and why they say im still connecting at 3mbs, as does my router

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

with an attenuation of 64dB something is VERY wrong with your line...best try the test socket (assuming you have one)...if not, although you may 1.5km from the exchange, your line may actually go all over the place before reaching you
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

i agree it is a huge figure, whats puzzling is how during the daytime the speed is a constant 2.5 meg (Was 3.5 up till a week ago when this all started), and it only drops to what id expect with that high attenuation, from 4ish onwards till 11pm or after.
      ive been sent a new router by the ppl at stage 1 of calling them, told they r clueless by the 2nd lot, and the 3rd bunch of boffins, told me they are seeing im connected at 3 meg (even during my slow period) and that my router shows the same 3 meg connection to exchange.
      i have no equipment turns on at 4 and switching off at 11 to cause this slowdown. Its saturday tomorrow and im dreading the thought that im going to get shamefully slow speeds all day during sat/sun too because they wont send an engi out to look at it yet. i just dont know what to do any more and sky are only telling me they dont know atm. had no problems with them up until they switched round some equipment at the exchange. At least when i was with BT the connection was a stable 3 meg at all times, just the cust service was beyond awful (Seriously... BRITISH telecom, not foreign telecom)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      best try the test socket (assuming you have one)...
      done that yet?...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      done that yet?...
      yeah it makes no difference since im alrdy plugged into the test socket anyway as of a week ago when this started and i tried the test socket 1st

Thanks

So the line is a long/poor line (might be part aluminium)...just to confirm setup is test socket>filter>router correct?

If so, there's going to be nothing any ISP can do to get the line re-routed so this might be as good as it gets bar a move on to GDMT - which might increase speed another 512kbps or so...

Thanks

yeah, ethernet > router> filter >test socket. we havent changed anything this end. until just recently, we did have a stable 3 mb (and yeah i believe that bit is down to bad line) which i could live with, but for it to suddenely drop as of a specific day, and from then onwards perform this bad every evening at these times, it says to me they have done something and now cant figure out what it is. Im trying to call them again and have been put on hold in a queue to stage 2 tech help after the 1st person i got couldnt handle what i had to say to them. so far.. ive got a red ear as its been 1 hour 10 mins of the sky hold tune. /sigh

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think this is another one for the SVBN problems. Added to that you have been put on ADSL2+ which is probably having a bad effect on your connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast