Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

whats happened to my service?

This is a discussion on whats happened to my service? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; you say you're fed up but any ISP would have the same issues to a certain extent...regarding the switch the ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: whats happened to my service?

you say you're fed up but any ISP would have the same issues to a certain extent...regarding the switch the G.DMT on the SVBN - yes it can be done, although the level of configurability is a lot less than the normal DSLAMs...

There's no point calling/speaking to anyone but CST as no one but them can do anything about your situation...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      peevedoffatsky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01634
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ok well spoken to an extremely helpful cst person lastnight who identified a huge packet loss during weekends (Esp sunday evening) and peak week hours, the resistance on my line is going way up and theres a lot of "emp" (lol so not just a grenade you throw in a game or used by military to knock out enemy comms/electronics) bringing my speed down. i did a ping -t Google and out of 40 packets, 31 made it, and the losses were in groups.

SO i had a call back today from someone in a slightly different department of cst (he had better tools available than the others , as he put it lol) and he was checking it all out during phone use and phone hung up, even that was enough to show it was massive amounts of noise interference. We now have an openreach engi coming out tomorrow (if they sent one out before and not knowing for definite the fault was one he would see, they said he probably would have charged me for the call out)
      finally, looks like its going to be getting fixed! stupid noise interference :-\ hes shielded the line for now to at least try and make it even slightly more useable during peak hours.
      Thanks for all the advice guys

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Well I wouldn't be too peeved of at Sky, they are obvioulsy dealing with a line fault here and seem to be at least sorting it out for you. It's not cheap to get BT to do this sort of work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Well I wouldn't be too peeved of at Sky, they are obvioulsy dealing with a line fault here and seem to be at least sorting it out for you. It's not cheap to get BT to do this sort of work.
      i know, its the fact its taken this long and me, the customer, who pays their wages, was telling them the problem wasnt the setup in my house, it wasnt a fault they could see immediately a all router stats showed the proper speed, it took one whole week for one guy in t3 of support to just ask me.. can you run a command prompt , ping -t Google... and from there he saw how bad my packet loss was, led him to check various other stats on the line during use and during peak/quiet times, and finally its going to be sorted. I had been telling them this from the start, that it was something else they werent seeing... they should have picked up on that sooner imo. im just happy (i hope) that its going to be sorted

Thanks

ok im going to be on the news this week for shootings.
      the engineer came out thismorning i was SO hopeful, then like a mallet in the nuts, he tested the line and it was fine.. 0 % packet loss, full speed.. (packet loss goes up to 10% by 5 pm and 30%, by 8pm/9pm he even checked the exchange and couldnt find any issues. of course this was 8.15 AM!!... and my problems are peak hours and the weekend...
      I did tell him this (i must admit the guy was just very short with me and unwilling to really listen to me trying to explain exactly what was happeing from my screen onward.. and what sky had told me to hell him about peak time packet loss). His response was that as he can find no fault on the line or at the exchange, the fault must be sky, and they must have taken on too many users for their llu at the exchange and its being clogged, or that theres somebody who is seriously taking up all the bandwidth as soon as they get home in the evening, causing this drop. Cant explain the anger and frustration im feeling right now as ive also just spoken to a customer support about our contract telling them i want it written off since we are paying around 15 (would be more but we had a deal that brought it down if we got tv + phone with them too) for our net and 10 for the phone line. He told me the only part of the contract i could drop was the phone line.. but im committed till march on the broadband... im NOT happy, and i am reporting them to watchdog and every single consumer complaint service there possibly is that will spread it out that sky are a load of buck- passing wasters that only want the cash in your bank regardless of what they provide you with, be it a decent service, or in most cases, crap at the bottom of the barrel.
      Last edited by peevedoffatsky; 24-11-09 at 07:28 PM. Reason: mistake

Thanks

right ive signed for virgin media, tv phone and cable broadband, should get a higher speed, and although they do "throttle" users, its only the ones who are being seriously OTT with their useage , and thats the top 5% of those that it happens to, and i know for a fact that playing World of Warcraft in the evenings and maybe a small patch update of 400mb over 3 days or so, is not going to hit that top 5%.

what i need to know is, my contract with sky is until march 2010, however they havent fixed this fault, its been there since mon 16th, im paying for a service that is unuseable really during weekends and evenings peak time- when i would be wanting to use it. Should this not give me rights to end my contract without charge ? ive read up on some of the laws to protect consumers against contracts like skys that try to give the consumer no rights in cases like this, and from what i understand a threat of a report to ofcom and watchdog would be enough to get an apology and a cut of my leash.

Thanks

doubt you'll get out of the Sky contract - well, not TV anyway as there's nothing wrong with that...

regarding the BT engineer, you wouldn't get one late night as they only go out to 6pm so peak time drops aren't going to get looked into - have you tried another PC on your connection (corry, not bothered to read every post as it hurts my head)?...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

yeah 3 pcs have been tried, made no diff, new router in, new filter, cable etc, no difference, theyve used every conceivable line config to no avail, i dont think they have anything left to try so just keep trying to fob me off with line reconfigurations. the engi said if there was any fault on line, it would show up no matter what time it was, even if the actual problem was occurring late night. He told me it was more than likely sky with their "truly unlimited" broadband, some greedy users overusing it with a high amount of bandwidth at their disposal and downloading masses of large files as soon as they get in at night, or sky stuck too many users onto their equipment at the exchange and its stuffed service on some of the further away lines.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It will not be a capacity problem otherwise it would affect everyone on the exchange, it could be a fault at the exchange that only occurs under load I suppose but it is one of those strange ones where you need someone to really take an interest in getting it fixed and go the extra mile.

Thanks

I'd call support again and ask if it's going to be fixed as they might just say 'no we can't' and offer you the cancellation...usually happens that way...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast