Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need to reboot regularly

This is a discussion on Need to reboot regularly within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys I have been running happily at around 2Mb/s D/L for several months but just recently I have been ...

Godzilla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke (THBZ)
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Humax FreesatHD
      Thanks

Need to reboot regularly

Hi Guys

I have been running happily at around 2Mb/s D/L for several months but just recently I have been noticing that every few days it all goes sluggish. Rebooting the router seems to fix it for a further few days. As far as I know nothing has changed in my configuration and I don't think I'm on DLM, so I am at a bit of a loss as to what to think. Any ideas?

I've included the router stats below - one as it was when I ran up this morning and the other just after a manual reboot of the router:

Before Reboot
      Connection Speed 333kbps 416kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.5 db 36.6db
      Noise Margin 28.9 db 12.0 db

After Reboot
      Connection Speed 2048kbps 448kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.5 db 36.5 db
      Noise Margin 12.9 db 10.0 db

I'm on Everyday package and my distance from exchange, plus poor local line quality means I'm delighted to get 2Mb/s, but 333Kb/s is a bit much.

Thanks for your comments

Keith

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Need to reboot regularly

Can you post your stats again from the test socket, it looks like you have noise on the line which is causing the router to reboot during particulary noisey times which is dropping your speed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Can you post your stats again from the test socket, it looks like you have noise on the line which is causing the router to reboot during particulary noisey times which is dropping your speed.
      I'm afraid I don't have a test socket - I have one of those old fashioned BT boxes. I am connected directly to this box and have very little internal wiring. I don't think the router is rebooting itself - the up-time on the latest stats (before I did the manual reboot) was over 73 hours)

Cheers

Keith

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Can you open up this box and remove any wires connected to terminal 3, this is the ring wire and can be a broadband killer. This may improve your stats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      Can you open up this box and remove any wires connected to terminal 3, this is the ring wire and can be a broadband killer. This may improve your stats.
      Thanks - I did that a few months ago and it certainly improved things.

However, my problem at present is that the speed has suddenly dropped drastically after months of being fine, rather than I'm unhappy with my stats in general. I wondered if DLM could be involved - maybe my manual rebooting is fooling the process into thinking my connection is unstable. The trouble is I don't know how to find out whether I'm being DLM'd or not - I certainly have not had any communication from Sky that they are doing it.

I do appreciate all the comments guys - many thanks.

Keith

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

A short term fix may be to reboot your router between 10pm and midnight when the noise on your line should be at it highest.

As you are synched at the highest possible noise then you should stay up during the day, this was a trick a lot of us used in the early days of Sky BB if you were suffering line problems.

If you keep on suffering disconnects then there is a real problem somewhere.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Thanks for that. Actually I'm not "suffering disconnects" - just drastic connection speed drop overnight that is fixed by a manual reboot. I'm not getting any automatic reboots or drop-outs. Manual rebooting keeps the speed up at 2Mb/s for 3-4 days.

Keith

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Thanks

You must be getting disconnects and some point. The connection speed/synch speed can't change unless the router loses connection. The likely scenario is that you suffering from severe noise in the evening, possibly REIN, which will eventually lead to a resynch at a lower speed.

One thing I have noticed is your upload speed is typical of someone on the Connect package, are you sure you're on the Mid package as you state in your profile?

BTW, you line attentuation suggests you could get around 4mbps, your line looks like it's been capped, probably because it's so unstable.

Thanks

Thanks Neil. I had not appreciated the point about the speed drop being linked to a disconnect, so maybe it is just the noisy line that is the problem and my manual rebooting is the best I can do.

I am supposed to be on the Mid package (called Everyday now I think?) - at least that's what my SKY account says.

According to BT my line can only reliably support 1Mbps, although I have been consistently getting over 2Mbps with SKY (actual download speed, not just connection speed). Apparently our estate is cabled with grotty old aluminium cable, which is very noisy at the best of times.

Cheers

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

well the Al cable is really not going to help at all that stuff is horrendous for broadband no matter what provider,

Basingstoke is one of the towns that BT is rolling out the Fibre to Cabinet pilots, mainly due to the horrible aluminimum cable that is in the town and so in the next couple of years you should get a whole new range of fast speeds avaliable to you.

Although I would ignore what BT line checker says as they say I can only get 5.5 meg a sec, and I was getting 8 with BT.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast