Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Need to reboot regularly

This is a discussion on Need to reboot regularly within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You could try running Internet Software for a couple of days.This will show when you line is dropping and may ...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Need to reboot regularly

You could try running Internet Software for a couple of days.This will show when you line is dropping and may give a clue to its cause.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Godzilla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke (THBZ)
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Humax FreesatHD
      Thanks

I'll certainly give that program a try. Thanks

Thanks

Hi again

I have been running the monitor program suggested by Isitme since yesterday afternoon and, as you thought, it was very revealing.

I started with a download connection speed of 2048 kbps and nm of 12.9.

The speed stayed at 2048 kbps but between 4pm and 5:30pm the nm gradually reduced to about 8db, then more rapidly to around 3db by 6:30pm. For the rest of the evening and until about 3am the nm oscillated dramatically between about 9db and 1db before the router finally gave up the struggle and resynchronised at 1614 kbps. After that the nm continued to oscillate wildly, but this time between 7db and 14db, until about 9am this morning. Since then it has averaged around 13db, but with occasional short term drops to around 3db. Connection speed has remained at 1614 kbps.

So I reckon you were all correct that my problem is simply a very noisy line, which I guess I'll just have to live with until we get the promised fibre-optic replacement cabling in the next couple of years.

I'll just keep rebooting whenever the speed drops to an unusable level and the nm climbs to over 20db (which it has been doing when the speed drops to 300 kbps)

It does seem a bit unfair that I have to put up with poor speeds all the time when the problem only happens during the night. I would have hoped that the router might resynch automatically if the nm gets really high (eg over 10db), as well as when it drops below the acceptable level.

Anyway, thank you all for your patience and advice - I love this forum.

Cheers

Keith

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is not something I would normally recommend, but if you are not actually using the Router during the night, try switching it off. When you switch it on in the morning . the line will be quiet, so it should sync at a good speed. It need not be too much of a chore if you use one of these Intelliplugs They are a good idea and can save quite a bit over the year, through switching everything off when you leave you PC. I have had one for a number of years.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quick update. After running the monitor for a few more days, it was quite evident that the noise on my line a) was very bad and b) varies throughout the day, being worse in evenings and morning peak usage times. Eventually it became so bad it was affecting normal phone calls to the extent that normal conversations became almost impossible.

We have reported it to BT and ironically, the line was so bad, their CS lady had to call us back on my mobile. Anyway, after jumping through their hoops (testing with wired phone on its own in master socket etc) they are sending us an engineer tomorrow, so with a bit of luck they will sort it out. Who knows, I might even get a modern master socket out of it.

Meanwhile the best speed I can get on Sky Broadband is 1024kbps, and that drops to under 300kbps in the evening.

Thanks again for your advice and support

Keith

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

i have the exact same problem as you, and im sure a lot of other people have to put up with this! i get a lot more speed than you, but i have disconnects and low SNR in the evenings and night just like you, between 9am and 4pm it runs fine, but after that my SNR is around 1 - 6db.

My speeds when the lines noisy is between 6.6 mbps - 6.9mbps but when its clear and its the morning it connects at between 7.3mbps - 8.2mbps with SNR at 7db, so i have a lot of speed loss when its noisy, also this is a newish line, only been used for about a year, ive always had a problem even on BT, on BT i got capped at 3.4Mbps = 2.5Mbps IP Profile it was poor! im happy with sky now even though i still have problems with noise!!
      i feel sorry for you as you have a lot more of a problem than me,

but yh turn the router off at night, and in the morning you will connect at a nice speed and a nice SNR. and it should stay stable until the night when u turn it off again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12