Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Lost speed with move to SVBN

This is a discussion on Lost speed with move to SVBN within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme This is the norm with LLU connections, unlike a BT connection which can be subject to ...

Raveologist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norwich City
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Lost speed with move to SVBN

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This is the norm with LLU connections, unlike a BT connection which can be subject to a contention ratio from 1:10 to 1:50 depending on the Conditions and number of users at the exchange.
      Interesting, I didn't know that. Is that separate from the contention on backhauls? (I have been reading about TalkTalk and their upgrading of backhauls to gigabit to alleviate user contention). My exchange is fairly limited in terms of LLU providers, and TalkTalk Pro seems to be my only option should this problem not be solved. Their use of forums and CST's is interesting but there are a lot of accounts of peoples speed dropping quite severely during peak times, as well as their traffic shaping of peer to peer during peak hours. (not that I'm a pirate of course )

Sorry for going slightly off topic
      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro : Sync 80000/20000

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Just thought I'd leave a little update on my situation.

I had been rebooting the router through the config page every day or two, to see if it made a difference (it didn't). I decided to try a full reboot by pulling the power cable out and leaving it for a few minutes, and hey presto, back to pretty much where I was before. I guess the change to SVBN confused the router or their equipment.

Here are my stats now:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18133 kbps 948 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24.0 db 11.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 8.0 db

I would advise anyone experiencing a speed drop after the move to SVBN to try fully rebooting their router.

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Thanks

I upgraded to unlimited and so far (im guessing DLM is running) its dropped my speed from 10237 to 9213....The connection has reset a few times but not increased. DLM has been runing about 6 days now, I had a powercut two days after I upgraded which lowered the speed to 9213 from 10237 (typically) and its not gone up since..

my down is 9213 atten is:
      32db & snr is 12
      Upload is 1024
      atten - 17db & snr 7db.

I was hoping to hit 14Mb

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      I upgraded to unlimited and so far (im guessing DLM is running) its dropped my speed from 10237 to 9213....The connection has reset a few times but not increased. DLM has been runing about 6 days now, I had a powercut two days after I upgraded which lowered the speed to 9213 from 10237 (typically) and its not gone up since..

my down is 9213 atten is:
      32db & snr is 12
      Upload is 1024
      atten - 17db & snr 7db.

I was hoping to hit 14Mb
      I am unsure if the move to unlimited automatically means moving to SVBN, but I think your issue may be with DLM rather than specifically with Sky's new network.

You would perhaps get better advice posting in the main DLM subforum, but personally I would advise waiting the full 2 weeks until line management is definitely finished, and if you still are unhappy give Sky a call and have it adjusted manually.

From your stats this adsl2 checker says:

"Your ADSL2+ speeds are likely to be in the range 12000Kbps to 15700Kbps"

Good luck

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am unsure if the move to unlimited automatically means moving to SVBN,
      It doesn't, only having Sky Phone rental on an LLUd exchange will result in a move to SVBN. The poster opted out of moving when given the option so he is not on SVBN. I don't know why he posted here.

For information only those on Sky Phone rental before the SVBN was enabled were given the choice of opting out. If you joined after it was enabled, you do not get the option to opt out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Thanks

Talking Re: Lost speed with move to SVBN

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It doesn't, only having Sky Phone rental on an LLUd exchange will result in a move to SVBN. The poster opted out of moving when given the option so he is not on SVBN. I don't know why he posted here.

For information only those on Sky Phone rental before the SVBN was enabled were given the choice of opting out. If you joined after it was enabled, you do not get the option to opt out.

Yeah this was my bad, I had two tabs open this and one on unlimited DLM speeds, I posted in the wrong one...... rather than duplicate post i just left it. I'm techie and been with sky since 2007 so i'm wel aware of whats what, was really only posting to show my experience so far (since upgrade).

So sorry to post here

PS. I opted outta SVNB via the wesite BUT they still tried to put me on it. I have LLU & sky line rental since beginning 2009. I got a letter saying my transfer to SVBN date - I called them and said UHHH NO! I then got them to send me a letter confirming no transfer.

mnavarra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hengoed
      Thanks

Hi

I have been with sky talk, tv and broadband on max packages since Dec 2009 (3 mths).

I just today got a letter advising that i am now able to go on their network and change happens in 2 weeks time.

After reading the forum i do not wish to move to it and wonder if i can opt out/refuse. I assume the fact i am only being told now by SKY means that the exchange i am on was not able to have this until now thus i can refuse. I mean, i must not have joined sky on an exchange already set up on this new network and that its now being converted thus i can opt out -

Is this right and what number do i call to opt out

thanks

PS - is there any benefit to going on there new system??

Thanks

i must not have joined sky on an exchange already set up on this new network and that its now being converted thus i can opt out -
      If you joined Sky after they started their SVBN, I don't think you can opt out. Only those who were existing customers could opt out as it involved a change in conditions. Probably the only thing you can do is return your rental to BT as quickly as you can.

There does not appear to be any advantage in being on the SVBN, the opposite is more likely to be the case. The only advantage is to Sky, who are able to make more money out of running their own network, rather than renting from BT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mnavarra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hengoed
      Thanks

I checked out Network Transfer

It has a tel number to call to discuss and i asked for them to NOT transfer me. I had a letter on 24th Feb saying on 16th March 2010 i was to be tranferred.

Spoke to them and they said no problem and cancelled tranfer/migration? She says a time will come (not for ages yet) when i will HAVE to transfer across. But for now i am not moving anywhere.

She said no new services or benefits on offer after move bar online voicemail but some upcoming new services will stipulate you must be on SVBN to have them (MAYBE VOD / ANYTIME + or others?)

I joined SKy in Dec 2009 and was expecting to be told i had no choice and could not opt out but apparently not. I emailed sky help and have had 2 weeks or email exchanges with totally incorrect useless info that was so wrong i wonder why they bother emailing as staff seem clueless and say 2 line responses only with factually incorrect answers everytime. Pointless.

Thanks

Spoke to them and they said no problem and cancelled tranfer/migration?
      That's good info. With the results users have been getting from their "state-of-the-art new network" anyone who has the choice would be mad to move.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast