Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Lost speed with move to SVBN

This is a discussion on Lost speed with move to SVBN within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've heard that us Unlimited users are in for big speed upgrades early next. Only a rumour mind! I would ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Lost speed with move to SVBN

I've heard that us Unlimited users are in for big speed upgrades early next. Only a rumour mind!
      I would not believe it if I were you. 24 mb is the maximum for ADSL. The only way you would get more is to have dual ADSL, which means having 2 phone lines bonded together. ADSL24 is one ISP who offers the service.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      cornishsky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Helston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Yep I had this initial problem to, it took about 2 weeks to get it all sorted, all my stats were messed up and eventually they started to fall and even out to where they were. Im back to where i should be now, almost lol, my uploads still well under where it should be.

Raveologist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norwich City
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hello all.

I noticed today that my download speed had dropped from 18mb to 10mb. I called Sky and was surprised to hear that I have been moved to this SVBN thingy. I have never seen a letter or email about this and was totally unaware it was happening, and as a result I am quite angry that it was done without my consent. Apparently I could have opted out but of course I needed to know about it first. Worse still, I have just found out that if I am unhappy with this new system and wish to change ISP, I will have to pay 100+ for the pleasure. Fantastic

These are my pre change stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18404 kbps 998 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24.5 db 11.6 db
      Noise Margin 8.1 db 8.0 db

and post change:

Connection Speed 10400 kbps 1024 kbps
      Line Attenuation 20.0 db 12.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 9.0 db

As you can see my attenuation has dropped by 4.5db, which should result in a speed increase. However my noise margin has worsened significantly, and as far as I can tell this 10mb is as good as it will get. The tech I spoke to said that DLM was due to test at 18404 overnight, but surely with this new noise margin that is entirely pointless? Or could my noise margin change enough to recoup the 8mb that I've lost? Doubtful but i'm still hoping

Suffice to say that if this as good as it gets, I will be pushing Sky hard to explain why I was not informed of this change and also to refund me the 100+ to get back on BT's network and out of this disaster. If my noise margin sorts itself out and I get more speed from the lower attenuation I will happily eat my words and crack on

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks

Sad. I doubt if it will make much difference unless you have made some changes. but plug into the Test socket and let us have a look at your stats from there. It may not be the cause, but the SVBN seems to be a real mess.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I cant imagine its anything at my end as nothing has changed in months. However here are my test socket stats, I hope I didnt confuse DLM by unplugging it for a bit:

Connection Speed 10336 kbps 1024 kbps
      Line Attenuation 20.0 db 12.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.8 db 9.0 db

I cant understand how my attenuation can improve yet my noise margin get so drastically worse. Surely all SVBN involves is new exchange equipment, not entirely new networks of cable? I'm hoping its some kind of fixable bug rather than the accurate stats of my new connection. Could anyone suggest what the chances of this being fixable/actually fixed are? If this is my new max speed I won't be a sky bb customer much longer. Also, can anyone suggest what the chances of my being put back on the old system for free are? (taking into account the fact I was not made aware of this change until after it was done and that I have lost almost half my DL speed).

Many thanks
      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro : Sync 80000/20000

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

is due to the increase in cabling within the BT exchange. as the Sky equipment can be a lot further from the line coming into the exchange than the BT gear it can lower speeds...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      is due to the increase in cabling within the BT exchange. as the Sky equipment can be a lot further from the line coming into the exchange than the BT gear it can lower speeds...
      So you think I am stuck like this unless I can persuade them to return me to the old system?

Also, surely an increase in cabling would increase not reduce attenuation?

Thanks

is due to the increase in cabling within the BT exchange
      I can't imagine increasing the wiring length within the exchange would cause the sync speed to almost half. It would have to be one massive exchange, say about half a mile long.
      I was not made aware of this change until after it was done
      It was well publicised before they started the move to the SVBN. Many on the forum opted out of the move. Anyone talking phone rental after the cut off date do not get the option to 'opt out'. I doubt if they will agree to put you back on the old system, I think those that have asked were told it was not possible. Something is wrong with their equipment and it must be addressed or they are going to loose a lot of customers.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It was well publicised before they started the move to the SVBN. Many on the forum opted out of the move. Anyone talking phone rental after the cut off date do not get the option to 'opt out'. I doubt if they will agree to put you back on the old system, I think those that have asked were told it was not possible.
      Well I certainly received nothing in the post about it. Come to think of it I never receive any post from them. I'll still try and persuade them to put me back if this speed drop can't be fixed, but it doesn't look like I'll have much luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Something is wrong with their equipment and it must be addressed or they are going to loose a lot of customers.
      My knowledge of this sort of thing is limited but surely a bug/error is the only feasible explanation? If this is the case it at least gives me some hope, as it must be quite a serious bug or error in their equipment to result in such an increase in noise/drop in speed, and hopefully they won't leave it unresolved.

On a separate note, when I joined Sky bb I was told that I was on a line which was not subject to user contention (onpath or offpath or something, kind of like a private line) and indeed I never saw my download speeds drop during peak times. Does anyone know if this would still be the case on SVBN? Or even if this might be the cause of my problems?

Many thanks for all the advice offered, I will be sure to update if anything changes.

Thanks

I was on a line which was not subject to user contention
      This is the norm with LLU connections, unlike a BT connection which can be subject to a contention ratio from 1:10 to 1:50 depending on the Conditions and number of users at the exchange.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast