Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Lost speed with move to SVBN

This is a discussion on Lost speed with move to SVBN within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just posted a seperate post about this without reading the sticky first (tut tut). I have been moved ...

Stevieoha is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunfermline
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Lost speed with move to SVBN

I have just posted a seperate post about this without reading the sticky first (tut tut). I have been moved to SVBN as the technician told me on the phone today. My internet speeds are grinding to a halt for doing anything gaming, downloading and streaming are all very poor.

Hope it gets fixed asap.

2. Advertisement
      jimmycobra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: shaw
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hello, aint walked these streets for a while.

hoping somebody can help me, just found out i was put on sky's new svbn in April.

I was never notified by sky of any change or even opt out clause. only thing i remember was a reduction in price letter to 7.50 a month i could sign up to. i did not take it as they where giving me broadband for free for 6 months as a repayment for an earlier mistake of theirs
      is the new svbn and 7.50 letter one and the same thing as i still pay 10 and if so i never opted in so to speak

cheers jimmy

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

is the new svbn and 7.50 letter one and the same thing as i still pay 10 and if so i never opted in so to speak
      No, the letter refers to the reduction in cost to Unlimited users. You will be on the SVBN if you have Sky Phone Rental and did not opt out of moving to it about a year ago. Anyone joining Sky Rental after a certain date go on it automatically and I don't think have the option of opting out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

psychobudgie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Caldy
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Well, 3 months on and I'm still trying to get Sky to sort my line following the move to their SVBN. I'm now getting

Connection Speed 6101 kbps 509 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38 db 21 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 17 db

This is from the test socket and despite them checking for 2 hours and establishing that they cannot improve it from the test socket they still will not accept that their equipment is at fault.

prior to the move 3 months ago I was getting between 8.6 and 9.5mb dependant on my max delay. Everytime I call they do the same tests and then tell me they will call me back within 72 hours which they never do and I have to call and go through it all again. During the last call they told me it must be internal wiring. This is with nothing plugged in other than their router and a microfilter into the TEST socket. It couldn't be internal other than their own equipment.

Really annoyed now as at present I'm getting slower speeds than I was on MaxDSL with vodafone.

Will be calling them at 11am today again as that is their 72 hours up and if they don't do something I'm demanding they put me back on the BT voice network and requesting my MAC via ofcom.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

There is no guarantee that you'll get your speed back on the BT network, you know...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IWasNotTheEnemy For This Useful Post:

thecolonel (29-01-12)

psychobudgie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Caldy
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      There is no guarantee that you'll get your speed back on the BT network, you know...
      Well they have finally admitted after 3 months of arguing and repeated testing that the fault is either at the exchange equipment or with their supplied router. Line errors are what is causing the drop in speed and they only seem to appear when the router is connected and bt have confirmed that the line from the exchange to my home is fault free leaving these as the only options. They have sent out a new router and failing that will address the exchange.

I'm not holding my breath but atleast they have finally admitted the fault lies with them.

I am also well aware that there is no guarantee the speed will return to the previous levels however as it dropped at the moment they switched the line over it is still likely imo to be the route cause of performance drop.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You may find with the new router you get a slightly better sync as the Sagem and D-link are both broadcom based and therefore match the broadcom equipment the svbn is based on. The netgear you currently have is TI AR7 based which works well on the conexant equipment you would have previously been connected to.
      I'm afraid though that I wouldnt expect it to go back up to 9mb just with the router.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

The interesting thing will be if it DOES go back up whether Sky will cotton on and issue Sagem/D-Link routers to customer on the SVBN from the start...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I'm not too sure sky are still supplying the netgears now!

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

firehawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

jumping in here, ive noticed my speed drop the past 2 months now, last week it dropped and again this week. I know that ive been having speed problems since i moved over to the SVBN last year. I used to get 13.5MB/14.5MB but now 11MB but last week was 11.5MB.

rang sky, again, and they said everything is fine, even sent me a new router which didnt help. they didnt admit that SVBN seems to be the problem (what is the benefit of SVBN if its reducing quality?)

not sure what I can do and if after a year, i can opt out?

SKY Fibre Optic pro unlimited!

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast