Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't Connect to Network

This is a discussion on Can't Connect to Network within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I've got a bit of an odd problem here. I have been using the Sky Sagem router through ...

kylehimself is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Can't Connect to Network

Hi all,

I've got a bit of an odd problem here. I have been using the Sky Sagem router through what was my new computer from the beginning of September. Plugged the router in to the computer via Ethernet, no need for any installation of any kind of software and it worked.

On the 30th of October I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7, again everything was fine, no need for installation it just worked.

On Sunday just passed I removed the Ethernet cable from the back of the router to briefly disconnect from the internet. I always do this rather than turn it off so the other computers connected wirelessly can stay connected.

Anyway, when I plugged it back I got no connection. I messed around for a bit and it started working again although I have no idea how. It was fine all day Monday however when I turned on the computer this morning there was no connection again.

I have taken two screen shots which are below, the first is of our laptop which is connected wirelessly and runs fine and the second is of my computer which is connected via Ethernet. My computer used to also say KYLE-PC ---- SKY01014 ---- INTERNET but as you can see it seems to have lost connection some how.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...network_01.jpg
      http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...network_01.jpg

If anybody knows how to remedy this I would appreciate it very much because I'm stumped and really have no knowledge surrounding networking. Just seems odd to me that this would work with minimal effort just to pack up on me.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Can't Connect to Network

Plugging/unplugging your ethernet cable is not the way to go, just switch of the PC is all you need to do. Completely shutdown your PC and laptops, plug the ethernet cable into a different socket on the router (you have 4 to choose from). Reboot the router, wait 5 mins until it connects fully then switch on your PC only and see if you connect.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      Plugging/unplugging your ethernet cable is not the way to go, just switch of the PC is all you need to do. Completely shutdown your PC and laptops, plug the ethernet cable into a different socket on the router (you have 4 to choose from). Reboot the router, wait 5 mins until it connects fully then switch on your PC only and see if you connect.
      This worked! Thanks very much. I can't believe it's so simple. Much appreciated neilmcl.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
      This worked! Thanks very much. I can't believe it's so simple. Much appreciated neilmcl.
      Okay so it sort of worked. I can use the above method to gain access to the internet, however it requires doing this every time I restart the computer. It's also not particularly good for the other two computers in the house connected to the router wirelessly (and fine might I add) for me to disconnect every time I need on.

I noticed in my network settings that I'm not in fact connected to the SKY01014 home network.

Just for reference. The laptop which is connected wirelessly seen here says it is connected to Sky.

The computer with dodgy connection I'm on currently displays this.

Can anybody shed any light as to how I go around connecting to the Sky home network permanently to stop this pain in the ass?

Once again any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: Just for some additional information, this is how the network map looks on the laptop.

Kyle-PC is computer connected via the ethernet and idealy the computer I want to run the network directly from.
      Last edited by kylehimself; 19-11-09 at 12:02 AM. Reason: additional info

Thanks

This may be a Windows 7 thing, hopefully someone with W7 experience may be able to point you in the right direction. Does you network settings allow for the IP address to be set automatically on all computers?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I beileve it it does allow for auto IP yes. Both the Vista laptop and XP machine can connect fine and confirm they are on the Sky network. The wierd thing to me is that my Win7 machine used to to this also but only stopedp the last day I removed the Ethernet cable and that's when the trouble started. When I'm connected to the internet and the laptop is not I get this in the network map. It just seems to me like I'm allowed access but not entirely connected, which seems to be a bit odd and a bit of a nuisance and probably the cause of the problem. Anyway as you say, hopefully somebody with some Win7 / networking expertise would ahve a better idea. Cheers for you help so far mate.

Thanks

Have you set up a Homegroup on the WIn 7 machine?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      Have you set up a Homegroup on the WIn 7 machine?
      No, I didn't set anything up myself. First time I plugged it in it worked and displayed the same as the Vista machin does currently.

Thanks

And its connected directly to the router via a single ethernet cable? Does the desktop have wireless capability and if so have you switched this off?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah mate, just the Ethernet cable and no wireless on board. As of today the comp has stopped knocking the internet off each time I turn on. It's still not connected correctly as such but at least it's letting me on. Think I may just have to leave it as it is and stick to your method of rebooting everything if and when it needs it, but as I said, as of today it seems to be connecting, just not through the SKY network. Not connected correctly is better than nothing though.

When I click the "see full map" option it doesn't even detect that there is a connection through a "gateway" or "switch" which it had been saying yesterday. It say's it can't connect another computer or device. This is odd since I'm online now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast