Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Please help with this broadband issue

This is a discussion on Please help with this broadband issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i have posted on another thread and was told by some kind chap to star a thread of my own. ...

stuart tanner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Please help with this broadband issue

i have posted on another thread and was told by some kind chap to star a thread of my own.
      i jioned sky 3 years ago on there max broadband package and for the first 3 months i was recieving a down stream speed of @11962 which i was very happy with.
      then all of a sudden my speed dropped to @8962 i phoned sky to complain and was told it was because my line could not support faster speeds.
      I thought this to be strange as i was getting faster speeds for the last 6 or 7 months.
      i called sky 6 or 7 times to moan and in the end my speed was upped to @10542
      i though i can live with this.
      i had about a year great surfing then again the speed was dropped this time i was told a engineer had left a wire off at the exchange while working on someone else's broadband??????
      again up it went,, infact it has been going up and down like a yoyo ever since.
      But for the last few weeks it has been reduced to 5024 and is very slow wirelessly.
      i also use a wired pc on the router which is getting slow???
      please find attached my state i hope any one can shed some light on this for me.
      I also get a code 200 if i do a sky test but my internet is working i also sometimes get a code 300???

many thx
      stuart
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help with this broadband issue-router-1.jpg   Please help with this broadband issue-router-3.jpg   Please help with this broadband issue-router-4.png   Please help with this broadband issue-speed-test.jpg  
      Last edited by stuart tanner; 14-11-09 at 01:01 AM.

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Please help with this broadband issue

If you have a test socket, can you connect your router to this using only the supplied cable and microfilters as described in http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-master.html and repost your stats please.

Thanks

Thx for th fast reply,, anyway this is the stat's taken at the test socket!! i am also still getting code 200

thx
      stuart
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help with this broadband issue-router-1.png   Please help with this broadband issue-router-2.png   Please help with this broadband issue-router-3.jpg  

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Ok well the good news it that proves that you have a problem with your internal wiring, it was nothing to do with Sky.

If you can fit a filtered faceplate and run the router from there that will cure it. For now, if you plug the faceplate into the telephone side of the ADSL filter that will get all your extensions back up and running for the phone side and then keep the router connected directly to the filter, or if you can, just live with the one phone and router connection until you sort out the filtered faceplate.

Thanks

the more worring thing about this is i have just had all my internal wiring replaced about a year ago by a bt engineer?
      i still cant understand why the downstream is so low compared to what i was getting 3 years ago.
      and how sky put the speed up for me and it was great then we are back to this.
      maybe i am just being greedy wanting faster than 4.5mb but then i am paying for more.
      can you clarify what the readings told you as i am going to get on to my bt engineer mate to look at my internal wiring again.

many thx for your time on this
      stuart

Thanks

By uisng the test socket your isolate your outgoing line from the rest of your internal wiring. By doing so we can see from your stats that your noise margin increased from 8.9 to 19.2 which will equate to a large increase in speed, at the moment though your speed is capped due to the lower reading.

There is something in your internal setup that's dragging this noise margin down. How many other sockets do you have in use? When your remove the lower faceplate from your master socket can you describe what wires are connected up? Do you normally plug your router into the master socket using the standard ADSL cable?

Thanks

I can see what you guys are talking about now, that is a big drop in noise? there are 3 extentions from the master my router is plugged into 1 in the office, and my main phone in the lounge.
      the extention uopstairs is not used
      i will have a look and report back it seems i owe sky a appology ooopppsss!

Thanks

As I mentioned earlier, have a look at the master socket faceplate to see if all or any of your extensions are wired from this. As you have 3 extensions in theory there should be 3 sets of wires connected to the faceplate. If you have any wires connected to terminal 3, this is the ring wire which is largely redundant but can be a bit of a BB killer. Remove this wire, simply pull it up from the connector and recheck your stats, firstly from the master socket (with faceplate back on) and then from the router's normal position.

As recommended it sounds like you could benefit from a filtered faceplate in that setup but it would be preferable only if you plugged your router into the master socket.

Thanks

i just did a bit of homework and tryed the router in my lounge socket and the noise margin increased to 16.5db so it must be my extion to office at fault.
      i only had this new extention done 1 year ago..
      is the noise margin in the lounge respectable or do you think i need to get all of the extentions done again.

many thx from a guy who struggles with this stuff

stuart

Thanks

There's no reason why you can't get as close to the noise margin figure on your test socket also on your extension. Please do as I suggest and see what and how the extensions are wired to your master socket. Any reason why you can't connect to the master socket itself (not the test socket but the main faceplate) ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast