Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Am I being throttled / shaped on Sky MAX?

This is a discussion on Am I being throttled / shaped on Sky MAX? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi There, I have been on Sky MAX for about 6 months now and so far it has been first ...

BigBazza is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prestwwck
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Am I being throttled / shaped on Sky MAX?

Hi There,

I have been on Sky MAX for about 6 months now and so far it has been first class - high speeds all the time and no issues - until now.

For the last 10 days now, I have been continuing to connect at the usual high speeds - and normal HTTP / FTP / P2P access is fine - but if I try to download anything at all from Newsgroups (I'm using the latest version of Forte Agent) it starts downloading quickly but soon drops away to virtually nothing and eventually Agent times out.

I have not changed anything at all on my system to cause this, and I'm beginning to suspect that Sky are deliberately restricting NNTP access.

Current stats from my Sagem Router are:

DSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 17200 kbps 1183 kbps
      Line Attenuation 21.0 db 8.7 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 7.7 db

And a speed test is getting upwards of 12Mbps sustained download speed without any issues, so it's got me beat why my Newsgroup aces has died.

It's definitely not the NNTP provider either (Newshosting) as I've contacted them and they are not having any issues just now.

Help me please, as I'm getting nowhere with it at the moment.

Many thanks

BigBazza

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Am I being throttled / shaped on Sky MAX?

Sky don't shape the LLU product at all - it's something else...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

They are not restricting my Newsgroups, I am maxing out at 18mb at the moment ad always do.

I assume you are not on wirelessm if you are, try a wire.

stuart tanner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276
      Thanks

this has happened to me many times and frankly i am sick of sky and there lame excuses, i joined sky broadband 3 years ago now on the max package and for the first 6 months my downstream speed was @11694 then after this time it dropped to @8694 ok these things happen u say.
      then about 4 weeks later it dropped again to @4500 now this is unacceptable in my view so i contacted sky 6 times and was told the same old rubbish (its because your line cant support those speeds) thats strange i was using these speeds for sometime with no problems at all.
      on the 6 phone call i managed to talk to someone who knew what they were doing and they changed my downstream speed while i was on the phone to @8900.
      that was a year ago now and guees what,,they have dropped my speed back again this week to @4500 so i am not a happy bunny at all.
      yes sky do throttle your connection as and when they feel fit in the hope u wont notice.
      my package connection speed as gone up to 20mb this year but my actuale connection speed is massively less.
      shame on you sky!
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Am I being throttled / shaped on Sky MAX?-capture.jpg  
      Last edited by stuart tanner; 13-11-09 at 02:42 PM.

BigBazza is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prestwwck
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hi Smithy99,

My home network is all hardwired, so it's not the wireless side of things.

Suppose I'll just have to endure another call to Sky,

Cheers

Barry

stuart tanner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276
      Thanks

good luck my friend they take ages to deal with anything,,, and to make things worse my sky router burst into flames last night.
      called sky this morning to complain and i am getting a new router free but no appology for the fright i had at 3 this morning with the fire alrms going mad.
      once i have new router i am going to deal with my speed issues...

stu

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stuart tanner View Post
      this has happened to me many times and frankly i am sick of sky and there lame excuses, i joined sky broadband 3 years ago now on the max package and for the first 6 months my downstream speed was @11694 then after this time it dropped to @8694 ok these things happen u say.
      then about 4 weeks later it dropped again to @4500 now this is unacceptable in my view so i contacted sky 6 times and was told the same old rubbish (its because your line cant support those speeds) thats strange i was using these speeds for sometime with no problems at all.
      on the 6 phone call i managed to talk to someone who knew what they were doing and they changed my downstream speed while i was on the phone to @8900.
      that was a year ago now and guees what,,they have dropped my speed back again this week to @4500 so i am not a happy bunny at all.
      yes sky do throttle your connection as and when they feel fit in the hope u wont notice.
      my package connection speed as gone up to 20mb this year but my actuale connection speed is massively less.
      shame on you sky!
      Sky DO NOT throttle or traffic manage their LLU packages. If you have a problem with your speed then you clearly have a instability issue with your connection which can be caused by any number of things.

Once you get your new router start a new thread here with your stats and maybe we'll be able to help diagnose your problem.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

My home network is all hardwired, so it's not the wireless side of things.
      Another member had a similar problem and like you he immediately blamed Sky. A little investigation discovered that it was his AV which was slowing his connection down. Try starting in Safe Mode with Networking and test your download.

You might also want to try running netstat -b in a Command Prompt. This will show you what is running and using your connection. Make sure you recognise everything.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

well im on sky max also i dont seem to have caps the only annoying thing i have is drop outs which is bloody bugging me