Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

802.11g turbo wireless adapter not working! (properly!)

This is a discussion on 802.11g turbo wireless adapter not working! (properly!) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry i have just seen that while i was typing before yo manage to post twice! i have tried going ...

RichieR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: 802.11g turbo wireless adapter not working! (properly!)

Sorry i have just seen that while i was typing before yo manage to post twice! i have tried going into the raling wireless utility & changing the channels, I tried running the windows zero configuration thing i have tried putting my mac address in different places (places i came across whilst trying to fix the problem, i downloaded the latest driver, & updated my service pack!

i tried contacting the manufactuer but all i get are Chinese or Japanese symbols when i try searching on their website! so i dont think i'll have much luck calling!
      I'm thinking about getting a screwdriver out & opening my pc to look at/remove the wireless adapter! (i know i dont want to do that)

& now i've run out of idea

Rich...

2. Advertisement
      krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichieR View Post
      Sorry i have just seen that while i was typing before yo manage to post twice! i have tried going into the raling wireless utility & changing the channels, I tried running the windows zero configuration thing i have tried putting my mac address in different places (places i came across whilst trying to fix the problem, i downloaded the latest driver, & updated my service pack!

i tried contacting the manufactuer but all i get are Chinese or Japanese symbols when i try searching on their website! so i dont think i'll have much luck calling!
      I'm thinking about getting a screwdriver out & opening my pc to look at/remove the wireless adapter! (i know i dont want to do that)

& now i've run out of idea

Rich...
      Disable the wireless adapter and buy a new usb one - prob your best bet.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Wow right i'll try that!
      but it looks like what the tech guy was talking me through! the zero config thing wouldn't play ball! i have to head to work now (funny thing is i work for sky) so will post up again in a bit!

Cheers

Rich..

Oh & if anyone else has any suggestions please post up the more the the better!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Guys!

I've just logged in at work & looking at my thread, my post dont seem to make sense, i think thats due to the page (on the home pc) not updating as quick as i thought it had so all my post arrived after someone else had posted.

I'm gonna try (when i get home later) the advice that Krysis gave me regarding the windows zero config tool. although it is kinda what i tried earlier!

I'm also think about getting a usb wireless adapter!
      just got a few questions
      1) are they any good?
      2) are they the things i see sticking out of the side of laptops? or is it just another way of linking up to the router (no speed loss)
      3) will it be as fast as a proper built in wireless adapter!
      I have a usb keyboard & mouse & i think they are rubbish as i cant move to far from the pc or they wont work & sometimes when close the keyboard completely misses out keystrokes!

I would want a usb wireless adapter to be effective with no reception issues!

Cheers

Rich...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I would want a usb wireless adapter to be effective with no reception issues!
      So would everyone, but it is not always easy. There are too many things which can upset wireless reception to say you will have no problems. Most would advise giving wireless a miss, especially if you have a desktop PC. A homeplug network is a far better solution.
      One thing to make sure of is that you have a USB 2 port available to plug it into. It will not work correctly in a USB 1.1 port.
      Have you checked the batteries in your keyboard?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      A homeplug network is a far better solution.
      Agree 200%

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      So would everyone, but it is not always easy. There are too many things which can upset wireless reception to say you will have no problems. Most would advise giving wireless a miss, especially if you have a desktop PC. A homeplug network is a far better solution.
      One thing to make sure of is that you have a USB 2 port available to plug it into. It will not work correctly in a USB 1.1 port.
      Have you checked the batteries in your keyboard?
      Brand new batteries i'm always changing them!

Looked into these home plug things last week after reading a few threads on here! as i was thinking that i would have problems with the mac (ordered the airport card & adapter on ebay - came from china so wasn't expecting the worst)

i think i have USB 2.

My problem is the pc, printer & all pc stuff is sited on a back wall quite far from a mains socket (no other place for it to go) i then have a surge protector which doubles as an extension lead to power everything, but from what i have learned the homplugs wont work through the surge protector & they also have trouble being used through extension leads, also the telephone socket (we only have one) is on the opposite wall! which is why i wanted wireless - i thought i might need homeplugs but only for the Imac upstairs incase i had reception issues!

so at the moment i have a ethernet cable running across a room (although i've tucked it under the rug) the wife wants it moved asap as its a real hazard

Cheers

Rich...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Anybody still up that can help???

Hi I posted earlier about a problem i was having with my wireless adapter.

Well that problem is now solved, but it has thrown up a new one as I now cannot get onto the internet via the pc downstairs.
      I have a pop up alert constantly going off stating that i have a ip conflict with another machine on the network!
      Permisson is denied when i try to get to the router stats page from the pc (which is my main machine)
      I'm in my daughters room using her mac which now seems to have taken over the role of main machine as i can access the internet & router stats page from here!

I would rather it was the other way around as she is barely old enough to surf the net!

Has anybody seen this problem before!

Cheers

Rich...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: 802.11g turbo wireless adapter now working, new issue!

Dont flame me as i did start a new thread that may or may not get read as it was titled for the people still up at 2am.
      so i thought i put the same information in here to see if you guys could help.

after lots of trying i managed to get my wireless adapter to fire up & it tells me the
      Signal Strength: excellent (didn't think it would say that)
      Speed: 54Mbps

which is great but i now cant get onto the router page or even the internet
      I have a Pop-up balloon thing that shows up every 10 seconds (really annoying) it tells me that there is an ip conflict with another machine on the network!

I can no longer see the router stats page via the pc & although it nows says i'm connected to the sky network i cannot get online via the pc (which is the houses main machine)

I am using the old imac g3 which is upstairs to post from,
      this machine (Imac) can gain access the router stats page & has no problems getting online!

I think that maybe somewhere during my attempts to fix the wireless on the pc i might have put in a wrong MAC address in or a bad password or some kind of incorrect security code but dont know which i'm not even sure anymore of the correct MAC addresses for either of the machines in the house anymore the router page seems to have changed address almost everytime i look at it!
      (Maybe i'm getting tired but i could do with a bit more advice)

Windows can't repair it as it needs to connect to the network
      zero config utility has no luck.
      I can see the network, the wireless is working, & the BB is definitely working!

but i'm stuck!

Sorry for another long post! (& a slightly repeated one)

Any help would be great!

Cheers

Rich...

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Anybody still up that can help???

Close her PC down, reboot the router, your PC should then be able to access the router itself. Sounds like you have manual IPs set up and have used teh same one twice. You'll need to either use auto IPs or check each PC and adjust the IP address of one of the 2 sitting on the same number.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast