Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Reconfigured Line

This is a discussion on Reconfigured Line within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I recently emailed Sky asking them to remove any limits they had set on my line as I was ...

odds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Q Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Reconfigured Line

Hi,
      I recently emailed Sky asking them to remove any limits they had set on my line as I was confident my line was capable of a higher download speed. I based this on previous LLU provider service, before ADSL2+.
      Anyway, they emailed back saying they have reconfigured my line. The problem is now, it is lower than before, both upstream and downstream. I have also been told by people phoning me that sometimes when they call me they get a dead line noise. I tried ringing off my mobile and it says "You have dialled an incorrect number" This is intermittent though.
      Anyway back to the broadband issue. Here are the stats now, only one socket in the house, which was fitted years ago by a BT Engineer when they had to install it for broadband and do a Whoosh test (filtered faceplate one).

Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.6 13.8
      Attn(dB): 44.0 24.7
      Pwr(dBm): 18.1 12.6
      Max(Kbps): 6532 1081
      Rate (Kbps): 4606 863

Test socket and normal socket the same by the way.
      Before the reconfiguration I would connect anywhere between 5Kbps to 6Kbps, but now it is stuck at 4606.
      What have they done ? Any ideas people.
      Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Reconfigured Line

You're on adsl2+ currently (you're line will be configured to 4608kbps)...although it shows more is available the SNR is 0.6dB above default so possible noise issue...

Grab a normal filter, remove the filtered faceplate and stick it in the test socket and see if your SNR increases. If it does then the faceplate is faulty...

Also, what else is currently plugged into the socket?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
      Hi,
      I recently emailed Sky asking them to remove any limits they had set on my line as I was confident my line was capable of a higher download speed. I based this on previous LLU provider service, before ADSL2+.
      Anyway, they emailed back saying they have reconfigured my line. The problem is now, it is lower than before, both upstream and downstream. I have also been told by people phoning me that sometimes when they call me they get a dead line noise. I tried ringing off my mobile and it says "You have dialled an incorrect number" This is intermittent though.
      Anyway back to the broadband issue. Here are the stats now, only one socket in the house, which was fitted years ago by a BT Engineer when they had to install it for broadband and do a Whoosh test (filtered faceplate one).

Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.6 13.8
      Pwr(dBm): 18.1 12.6
      Max(Kbps): 6532 1081
      Rate (Kbps): 4606 863

Test socket and normal socket the same by the way.
      Before the reconfiguration I would connect anywhere between 5Kbps to 6Kbps, but now it is stuck at 4606.
      What have they done ? Any ideas people.
      Thanks.

Looks like a regrade job tbh - Useless.
      Can we see your stats from the testsocket.

Do you have noise on your LL phone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      You're on adsl2+ currently (you're line will be configured to 4608kbps)...although it shows more is available the SNR is 0.6dB above default so possible noise issue...

Grab a normal filter, remove the filtered faceplate and stick it in the test socket and see if your SNR increases. If it does then the faceplate is faulty...

Also, what else is currently plugged into the socket?
      Ok, here is the results from the test socket :

Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.7 13.8
      Pwr(dBm): 18.9 12.6
      Max(Kbps): 6616 1085
      Rate (Kbps): 4607 863

Normally I would have 2 Sky boxes and the land line plugged in via a 3 way socket, but the stats above are router only in the test socket through ADSL Filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Krysis View Post

What's a regrade ? I've been on Max since I joined over 2 years ago.

Can we see your stats from the testsocket

See above.

This morning I dialled 17070 to do a line noise check and it said there was an echo on the line and slight noise, yesterday I did it and it said the line was fine.
      Checked the Sky web site and it says they are only responsible for OUTGOING calls, if you have problems with incoming calls, phone your line provider. As I pay Sky line rental are they not my line provider ?
      Just noticed that my downstream attenuation has gone up to 44.5 in the last 30 mins, is this usual ?
      Last edited by odds; 11-11-09 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Change of stats

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
      Ok, here is the results from the test socket :

Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.7 13.8
      Pwr(dBm): 18.9 12.6
      Max(Kbps): 6616 1085
      Rate (Kbps): 4607 863

Normally I would have 2 Sky boxes and the land line plugged in via a 3 way socket, but the stats above are router only in the test socket through ADSL Filter.

They may need to take you off ADSL2+ it will lower your attenuation slightly and should bump up your Snr a little to allow a faster sync rate.
      Looks like your line won't cope too well on adsl2+.

What's a regrade ? I've been on Max since I joined over 2 years ago.

Can we see your stats from the testsocket

See above.

This morning I dialled 17070 to do a line noise check and it said there was an echo on the line and slight noise, yesterday I did it and it said the line was fine.
      Checked the Sky web site and it says they are only responsible for OUTGOING calls, if you have problems with incoming calls, phone your line provider. As I pay Sky line rental are they not my line provider ?
      A regrade basically is a recalibration of your line - In this case it looks like it's been done by an automated system (DLM Bot [DLM being Dynamic Line Management - You can read more about it Here: What Is DLM? Everything you need to know.)

Basically, In short, It has capped the line down to keep the line stable - Possibly before hand your snr was lower than 7 which means your line was receiving a little too much speed to allow it to perform better (lower throughput because of possible error build up).
      Capping the line lightly, especially in your case doesn't necessarily mean your connection is going to be slower, it could actually benifit from this and you could actually have a faster connection - I know this doesn't make sence: lower speed but faster connection?
      It's because we give your line what it can hold, perform best on according to the levels of noise. If your line was erroring heavily (packet loss) then your connection will feel sluggish on a faster sync rate, lower this sync rate and you would receive less packet loss, meaning a faster feeling connection.

If you have an echo or an intermittent noise issue on the line, then I would definately suggest you speak with your line rental provider (Sky) and mention this to them. Intermittent noise issues on your LL can and will affect your BB connection.

Thanks

Thanks Krysis,
      I'll get on to Sky about the slight noise and echo, plus the wrong number error I get from my mobile and the dead phone tone when people phone me.