Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection query

This is a discussion on Connection query within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After several months of frustration I finally made the transition to Sky Broadband from Orange earlier this week. Although they ...

Kettlejake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection query

After several months of frustration I finally made the transition to Sky Broadband from Orange earlier this week. Although they told me on the phone that my router was delayed due to an IT problem anf that they would phone me when it was resolved, the router arrived and I was up and running. Still no phone call at the time of writing, however.
      Anyway, I digress. The main reason for posting is that Iím not sure if Iím connected in the optimum way. My router is connected to the main phone socket by an extension reel as the socket is too far away to connect directly as per the manual. At first I put an ADSL filter on to this connection, but kept losing the connection.
      On phoning tech support I was told that I shouldnít be connected via an extension reel, but I have no choice at the moment. I checked various internet sites and found advice that you shouldnít have a filter directly connected to the router so I removed it and the connection seems to be fairly good, just disappearing for relatively short times.
      However, Iím still worried that it may disconnect again. Should I have a new master socket fitted and, if so, do BT still have a service that does this. I canít find any mention of it on their website.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Kettlejake

No you really shouldn't be using one of those extension reals there is far to much cable on them.

If you are willing to pay BT they will come and do anything you want try calling 150. if you are willing to do it yourself you can get a faceplate and add a proper extension to it yourself for more info try looking here ADSL Nation
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here