Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problem connecting to internet when computer is connected to router

This is a discussion on Problem connecting to internet when computer is connected to router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had sky broadband for along time now and not had any problems, however recently I tried to connect a ...

jim1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Problem connecting to internet when computer is connected to router

I've had sky broadband for along time now and not had any problems, however recently I tried to connect a new computer to the network and have encountered several.

The computer is running XP and has a Netgear Wg311v3 802.11g wireless network adapter. I'm using the netgear wireless software to connect to the router.

Here's the problem: the netgear software says the signal to/from the router is good (90%). The little flashing connection icon in the taskbar says 'signal strength good'. All the other computers on the network which are successfully connected to the router/internet can see the machine that I am having problems with as being connected to the network, for instance I can share files from the problem machine across the network to other machines no problem.

So everything would suggest the machine is successfully connected to the network, however the problem machine cannot connect to the internet. For one very brief moment it managed to load a google search page but then the next operation timed out, which seems to suggest it might be a connectivity/signal strength issue after all.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem that seems to affect only one computer and only that computer's internet connectivity?

Additionally I have tried to access the router settings via one of the connected.working computers but the default 'admin/sky' username/password combination don't seem to work, is there a way of resetting these without potentially upsetting the configuration of the network? I think the solution to this problem might be something to do with the router's configuration but i can't get in there to look around.

thanks!

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Problem connecting to internet when computer is connected to router

It's almost certainly a conflict between the Windows WiFi Manager and the Netgear Software. I'd suggest you remove the Netgear software (but still keep the Drivers) and connect using the Windows WiFi Manager.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Problem connecting to internet when computer is connected to router

Is your XP installation up to date with Sp2 or 3. If so you should definitely use the Windows wireless manager. To do this go to the Control Panel, Network Connections, right click your wireless adapter, select Properties. When the box opens, click the Wireless Networks tab and then tick 'Use windows to configure my wireless network settings'. Follow the instructions.

Some find that the adapters software tries to take over the connection, so if you can, do as dms05 says and uninstall the software for it except the driver. You could also have a look in the Startup tab of MSCONFIG and disable any entries there connected with the adapter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.